Fran McCaffery extended through 2023-24 season

Fran McCaffery isn’t going anywhere; the coach signed an extension in November that includes a major buyout.
The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Al
Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery reacts to a call by the referee during the NCAA basketball game between Iowa and Michigan at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Tuesday, Jan. 2, 2017. The Hawkeyes fell to the Wolverines 75-68. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

For all the fans calling for Fran McCaffery’s firing, that doesn’t appear to be in the near future.

Land of 10 obtained a contract through the state’s open-record laws, and it reported that McCaffery signed a contract extension on Nov. 29, 2017, extending him through the 2023-24 season and creating a $10.2 million buyout if fired before July 1, 2018.

Other contract updates include McCaffery owing the university $2 million if he chooses to leave the program for another coaching gig before the 2023-24 season, which is $1 million more than the previous figure.

The university did not announce the extension when McCaffery signed it.

Iowa currently sits at 11-11, with only a pair of conference wins in nine tries. Prior to this season.

Iowa coach Fran McCaffery contract 2017 by Scott Dochterman on Scribd