Gymnastics teams hold preseason showcases

The Hawkeye gymnasts will compete against each other to give the fans a glimpse of the upcoming season.
The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep
Iowa assistant coach Jennifer Green watches an Iowa gymnast perform on the balance beam during a women’s gymnastics meet in Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Friday, Jan. 13, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated the Spartans, 195.475-193.875. (The Daily Iowan/Joseph Cress)

The Iowa men’s and women’s gymnastics teams hold their intrasquad event this weekend to give fans a chance to view events before the season starts.

The men will start off tonight at 6 pm, while the women get going Saturday morning at 10 am – both in the Field House.

The men’s team will be showcasing their floor, pommel horse, rings, vault, parallel bars, and high bar competition. The women will be competing in vault, bars, beam, and floor, with celebrities judging the event.

After both the men’s and women’s events, there will be a special season ticket holder event to meet the gymnasts, as well as other activities.

“We put a lot of effort into this, especially this year, two-fold,” women’s gymnastics head coach Larissa Libby said. “We have obviously the gymnastics event… I’m excited to see with the nice weather to be able to showcase our team. But on the other side of that, the non-gymnastics, it’s the first time we’re going an exclusive event for our season ticket holders. It’s kind of an inside look into the team.”

—Anna Kayser