Track and field kicks off season at home

Iowa’s tracksters did not disappoint fans in their season-opener.

Iowa's Tria Simmons competes in the Women's 60 Meter Hurdles during the Hawkeye Invitational indoor track meet at the Campus Recreation Building on Satuday, Jan. 13, 2017. Simmons finished third with the time of 8.77. The Hawkeyes opened up the season with over 11 titles for the day. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Andrew Donlan

The Iowa track and field indoor season officially kicked off Jan. 13 with the Hawkeye Invitational in the Recreation Building. The meet featured tracksters from Iowa, Iowa Central Community College, Iowa State, and South Dakota.

The Iowa men and women came into the meet with top-35 United States Track and Field/Cross-Country Coaches Association preseason poll rankings — 32ndnd and 34thth, respectively.

Iowa’s freshmen did not hesitate a bit in their first competition. Aly Weum won the 400 meters with a time of 57.33, and Luke Sampson took the 3,000 meters at 8:27.88.

Sheridan Champe won the women’s 200 meters at 24.70 seconds, and Bradford Garron — another outstanding freshman — won the men’s at 21.74.

Iowa’s Jenny Kimbro took home first in the women’s 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.50 seconds, 0.05 seconds short of her personal best at the Big Ten Indoor Championships in 2017.

Former Hawkeye Aaron Mallett, now a pro, set a facility record in the same event with a time of 7.73 seconds.

Jalynn Roberts-Lewis won the women’s long jump, leaping 5.54 meters.

Nathan Mylenek blew out the field with a 4:10.8 mile, a Hawkeye Invitational meet record and personal best.

2017 All-American Lagi Tausaga moved into third in Iowa history in women’s shot put, winnng the event with a throw of 15 meters.

2017 pole-vault national champion Chris Nilsen of South Dakota put on a show for a captivated crowd as well, setting a track and meet record.

The Hawkeyes’ next meet will be the Larry Wieczorek Invitational on Jan. 19-20 in the Recreation Building.

Click below for more photos

• Track and field kicks off season at home

Football

Iowa linebacker Nick Niemann to miss time with leg injury

Hawkeye wrestling’s Sam Stoll suspended for season-opener

Football

Here are the answers to 4 questions we had before the Hawkeye football season

Football

Quarterbacks step up as Big Ten play gains momentum

Football

By the numbers: Iowa football and the offense

Sports

Iowa volleyball on track with motto

Football

Iowa football’s road to the Big Ten championship is a long one

Football

Point-Counterpoint: Who will win the Big Ten West?

Baseball

Iowa baseball moves on following departures

Soccer

By the Numbers: Iowa soccer’s defense