Iowa men’s basketball seniors leave lasting impression stretching far beyond stats

The Hawkeyes’ Tony Perkins, Patrick McCaffery, and Ben Krikke have piled up plenty of points in their respective careers, but also embrace accountability and credibility.
Iowa+guard%2C+Tony+Perkins+dribbles+the+ball+during+a+men%E2%80%99s+basketball+game+between+Iowa+and+Nebraska+at+Carver-Hawkeye+Arena+on+Friday%2C+Jan.+12%2C+2024.+The+Hawkeyes+defeated+the+Cornhuskers%2C+94-76.+
Shaely Odean
Iowa guard, Tony Perkins dribbles the ball during a men’s basketball game between Iowa and Nebraska at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Friday, Jan. 12, 2024. The Hawkeyes defeated the Cornhuskers, 94-76.

4,167 — That’s the number of career points shared between the trio of Iowa men’s basketball’s Tony Perkins, Patrick McCaffery, and Ben Krikke, each of whom have crossed either the 1,000 or 2,000-point mark this season.

While donning the Black and Gold in 2023-24, the group of seniors have not only achieved career milestones in their offensive production but also have left behind traces of leadership and mentorship that extend beyond the stat sheet.

Perkins, the youngest of the bunch, was the first to notch his accomplishment, surpassing 1,000 points when he nailed a midrange jumper in the second half of an Iowa win over Michigan on Jan. 27. As the 52nd player in program history to reach quadruple-digits in scoring, Perkins averages a career-high 15.1 points per game this season, tying for eighth in the Big Ten with 4.2 assists per contest.

“He just continues to mature,” Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery said of Perkins after the Hawkeyes’ victory over Ohio State on Feb. 2. “When he first got here, he was a junkyard dog — that’s what he loved about him, and that’s why we recruited him. He’s a fearless guy.”

Hailing from Indianapolis, Perkins finished second in Indiana’s Mr. Basketball coming out of Lawrence North High School in 2020. While he played sparingly in his first season in Iowa City, his scoring average has increased each year, culminating in his best offensive production of his career on Feb. 4, 2023.

That Saturday afternoon against Illinois, the 6-foot-4 Perkins practically carried the Hawkeyes to their first win against the Fighting Illini in three years. Piling in 32 points, the then-third-year missed just four shots from the field and free throw line.

“I’ve been doing this a long time. I haven’t seen too many guys go off like that,” Fran McCaffery said of Perkins’ performance. “That was impressive.”

Following that season, the head coach issued Perkins a challenge: to become a more vocal leader. Embracing that goal, Perkins made himself heard his fourth year.

Iowa first-year guard Brock Harding remembered when Perkins was the first Hawkeye starter subbed out on Feb. 17 against Wisconsin. Sitting on the bench watching as Harding took his place, Perkins didn’t sulk, but rather “instilled confidence” in his teammate.

“He was cheering loud for me, talking to me at timeout,” Harding said of Perkins.

Averaging 15.1 points per game this season, Perkins still has an extra year of eligibility, a decision he said he will make after the season.

Patrick McCaffery also has a year left of eligibility and sunk his 1,000th career point while at the charity stripe on Feb. 27 against Michigan. For his father, Fran McCaffery, the moment was a sign of just how far the 23-year-old has come since he was diagnosed with thyroid cancer 10 years ago.

“When he was 14 years old, to get 1,000 points in the Big Ten, we weren’t sure if he would get two points or even play his high school career,” the head coach said of his son. “His leadership on this team has been impressive.”

On the podium following the win over the Nittany Lions, Patrick McCaffery didn’t seize the opportunity to gloat. Rather, he stressed his career accomplishment shouldn’t overshadow his 1-for-6 shooting performance, or the team’s win.

“I had a pretty atrocious game to be completely honest,” he said. “I wish [1,000 points] came a little sooner, but I’m glad we won, and I’m glad I got there.”

While Patrick McCaffery and Perkins have worn the Tigerhawk their entire careers, Ben Krikke is in his first campaign in Iowa City. The grad student transfer elected to spend his final year of eligibility with Iowa after four seasons with Valparaiso.

In 2022-23, Krikke was king of the Missouri Valley Conference in scoring, registering 19.4 points per contest. This season, that mark has dipped to 13.9 per game. Even though Krikke is no longer the main offensive option and doesn’t have the same amount of experience with the Hawkeyes, it doesn’t negate his influence.

“He’s not the guy who does a lot of talking, but he certainly commands the respect,” Fran McCaffery said of Krikke. “When he does say something, everybody listens because he’s a really special person and incredible worker, so he has credibility.”

One of the talking points heading into this season was the leadership void after the departures of Connor McCaffery, Kris Murray, and Filip Rebrača. But now after four Quad 1 wins, Iowa has an outside shot at making the NCAA Tournament, which would be the program’s fourth straight appearance.

For Fran McCaffery, part of that stability derives from senior leadership, which continues to change faces but still finds a receptive team striving to play for each other and constantly improve.

“You’re going to have guys talking, but if you have guys who aren’t listening, it’s not going to do any good,” he said.