X, formerly known as Twitter, reacts to Iowa men’s basketball’s 25-point blowout loss to Iowa State.

The Hawkeyes suffered their largest margin of victory in the 100-year old rivalry on Thursday.
Cody Blissett
Iowa players and coaches observe a basketball game between Iowa and Iowa State at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, Iowa on Thursday, Dec. 7, 2023. The Cyclones defeated the Hawkeyes, 90-65.

Iowa men’s basketball lost the Cy-Hawk game to Iowa State, 90-65, on Thursday. The Cyclones notched their 600th win at Hilton Coliseum with their largest margin of victory during the century-long rivalry. 

Iowa struggled mightily in the first half, quickly falling to a 20-point deficit on their way to recording more turnovers than made field goals throughout the first 20 minutes of play. The Hawkeyes were never able to recover as they trailed by at least 18 points through the whole second half. 

The Cyclones had three players score at least 17 points while the Hawkeyes’ leading scorer was Payton Sandfort with 14 points. 

Several reactions were shared throughout and after the contest by Iowa fans and media on X, formerly known as Twitter: