Iowa football 2023 season preview: New-look Hawkeyes seek to win Big Ten West in its final season of existence

With Michigan quarterback Cade McNamara headlining a string of transfers to Iowa City, Iowa’s offense has new weapons to pair with a homegrown defense.
Cody Blissett
Iowa tight end Luke Lachey, quarterback Cade McNamara, and linebacker Logan Jones (left to right) sit on the field during Iowa football media day in Iowa City on Friday, August 11, 2023.

Call it a facelift. Call it a rebrand. Call it an upgrade. Any way you slice it, the Iowa football team certainly has a different look heading into the 2023 season.

Head coach Kirk Ferentz utilized the offseason and the new immediate eligibility of the transfer portal rule, so the Hawkeyes have plenty of new faces; most notably, former Michigan quarterback Cade McNamara.

The addition of McNamara, along with other offensive weapons, will be the driving force to improving one of the worst offenses in the FBS last season. While the offense has these new acquisitions, the Hawkeye defense will be anchored by homegrown players who can now step into the spotlight.

Yes, Iowa will be missing plenty of playmakers from 2022, but this new-look squad has the potential to make such absences irrelevant.

Even with 163 votes, the Hawkeyes did not find themselves on the Associated Press Preseason Poll last season. This year, they slid in at No. 25 and look to win the Big Ten West for the first time since 2021.

This will be the final season with Big Ten West and East divisions as the conference will welcome UCLA, USC, Washington, and Oregon in 2024 and become the largest division in CFB history with 18 schools. The Big Ten title game in December will feature the top two teams in the overall conference standings at the end of the regular season.

That title game two years ago wasn’t exactly memorable for the Hawkeyes, who got steamrolled by Michigan in a 42-3 drubbing. McNamara threw for 169 yards and a touchdown in that contest, and the Wolverines advanced to the College Football Playoff for the first time.

The following season, McNamara split starting quarterback duties with sophomore J.J. McCarthy. In the Wolverines’ third game of the year against Connecticut, McNamara went down with a season-ending right knee injury.

McNamara had surgery on his knee in November. On Dec. 4, 2022, the Reno, Nevada, native announced his transfer to Iowa City.

“Anytime I call my parents, I tell them how happy I am here,” McNamara told reporters at Iowa football’s media day on Aug. 11. “My teammates ask me how I’m doing — I’m doing great. I’m not trying to lie or act like Mr. Happy all the time or be a phony, but it’s truly how I feel.”

Even though McNamara’s adjustment wasn’t immediate, as the quarterback had quite a few false starts to begin fall camp, he has also brought on an attitude and competitive mindset that doesn’t go unnoticed by his teammates.

The new Iowa QB has confidence and is not hesitant to let others know about it.

“I think every practice there’s a new story,” Iowa backup quarterback and Wisconsin transfer Deacon Hill said. “He chirps a lot to the defense; they chirp back, but he really gets after it when the offense has a big play.”

McNamara showed no side effects of his surgery for much of Iowa’s open practice on Aug. 12, moving up and out of the pocket with ease — until about an hour into 11-on-11 play, in which McNamara fell awkwardly while scrambling out of the pocket. He walked to the locker room unassisted.

On Monday morning, Gary Dolphin, Iowas football’s play-by-play, said on the Fight for Iowa podcast that McNamara expects to be 100 percent by the season-opener against Utah State on Sep. 2. McNamara reportedly walked around the practice field unassisted but wore a compression sleeve above his right knee.

RELATED: Iowa football quarterback Cade McNamara ‘day-to-day’ after suffering injury during open practice

Lining up alongside McNamara will be returning receivers Nico Ragaini, Diante Vines, and Alec Wick, as well as newcomers Kaleb Brown and Seth Anderson.

Brown, a former four-star recruit coming out of St. Rita High School in Chicago, received an offer from the Hawkeyes but chose to play at Ohio State. After a year in Scarlet and Gray, Brown transferred to Iowa looking to make an impact.

Teammates and coaches describe Brown as “flashy,” while Iowa special teams coordinator LeVar Woods said the pass-catcher has the potential to “hit the home run” in the return game.

As for Anderson, the Charleston Southern transfer has more games under his belt than Brown, who only played five games with the Buckeyes last season. In nine games with the Buccaneers in 2022, Anderson caught 42 passes for 612 yards and seven touchdowns, earning him Big South Offensive Freshman of the Year.

Regardless of where either plays on the field, Brown and Anderson have the makeup to mesh well with the offense.

“It does take high character, and it takes a little bit of humility to know that you’re starting over, that you’re not the big dog on the block anymore,” Iowa wide receiver coach Kelton Copeland said of the pair. “You’re not second in command or whatever you were at your prior institution.”

The Hawkeye tight end room took a hit over the offseason as last year’s receiving yards leader Sam LaPorta was selected in the second round of the NFL Draft. His production looks to be replicated by McNamara’s fellow Michigan transfer Erick All and redshirt junior Luke Lachey.

After giving up 38 sacks last year, the Hawkeye offensive line returns to the gridiron with some much-needed experience.

Center Logan Jones said he would describe the O-line as “together.” Even if incoming Saginaw Valley State transfer Daijon Parker does miss time at right tackle because of a meniscus injury that kept him out of spring practice, the unit will have to be cohesive. The Hawkeyes will line up against two of Pro Football Focus’ Top 10 defensive lines in the country this season in No. 4 Illinois and No. 10 Penn State.

Even though the Hawkeyes won’t face conference powerhouses Michigan or Ohio State during the regular season, Iowa will still face off against Penn State, Wisconsin, Purdue, and Minnesota: four of the top seven offenses in the Big Ten last season in terms of points per game.

Even so, the Iowa “D” has some new starters to aid the departures of Jack Campbell, Seth Benson, Kaevon Merriweather, Lukas Van Ness, and Riley Moss to the NFL.

The Hawkeye faithful will quickly learn the names of linebacker Jay Higgins, defensive lineman Aaron Graves, and true freshman cornerback Deshaun Lee in their stead.

Headlined by star corner Cooper DeJean, the Iowa defense is ranked No. 6 nationally in ESPN’s June rankings.

This 2023 Hawkeye team has its sights set on playing in Indianapolis this December for the conference championship. Iowa hasn’t won a Big Ten title since 1979, but even a 44-year drought doesn’t lower expectations.

“We want to win every single game we play,” McNamara said. “We want to play with the highest effort. We want to represent Iowa football in the best way.”