University of Iowa to request approval of business analytics, translation degree programs

A Bachelors of Arts in translation and an online Master of Science in business analytics will go before the state Board of Regents for approval at the upcoming April 6 meeting.

Board+of+Regents+Office+member+Mark+Braun%2C+President+Michael+Richards%2C+and+President+Pro+Tem+Sherry+Bates+listen+to+a+speaker+during+the+state+of+Iowa+Board+of+Regents+meeting+in+Reiman+Ballroom+at+the+Alumni+Center+in+Ames%2C+Iowa%2C+on+Thursday%2C+Sept.+16%2C+2021.+

Board of Regents Office member Mark Braun, President Michael Richards, and President Pro Tem Sherry Bates listen to a speaker during the state of Iowa Board of Regents meeting in Reiman Ballroom at the Alumni Center in Ames, Iowa, on Thursday, Sept. 16, 2021.

Kate Perez and Emily Delgado

The University of Iowa is hoping to add two new degree programs for the fall 2022 semester: a Bachelor of Arts in translation and a Master of Science in business analytics.

The university is requesting approval for the two programs from the state Board of Regents.

The request for approval from the regents comes after a demonstrated need for both programs at the UI and at the national level. Upon approval, both programs will be implemented in the fall of 2022.

BA in translation

According to the request, the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences currently has an undergraduate minor in translation for global literacy and has students interested in a translation major. Fifty UI students have progressed through the minor program in global literacy in the last two years, and translation courses have been fully enrolled.

The major in translation is designed for undergraduate students to achieve various learning outcomes, including:

• Develop critical literacy skills necessary for participation in global professional and cultural environments.
  • Learn research methods to enhance creativity.
  • Develop foundational knowledge and practice of translation, in its various modes and contexts, necessary for graduate study in specialized translation programs.
  • Attain pre-professional knowledge toward building a career as professional translators and language mediators.
  • Gain awareness of the business and industrial dimensions of translation through networking and building communities.

RELATED: Iowa City’s Basic Goods owner to enroll in UI Tippie College of Business masters program

In a letter to the regents obtained by *The Daily Iowan*, UI College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Dean Sara Sanders wrote about the proposed new major, saying it comes at a time when the need for certification of translation has never been higher.

The UI division of world languages, literatures, and cultures is expecting the new major to be combined with linguistics, English, and international studies.

Jill Beckman, director of the division of world languages, wrote a letter to the regents touting the new major.

“Building upon the strength and success of both the Master of Fine Arts in literary translation and the undergraduate minor in translation for global literacy, this major program will expand opportunities for undergraduates with interest and expertise in linguistic, literary, and cultural studies,” Beckman wrote.

RELATED: Board of Regents approve addition of two new academic programs, disability research center at UI

MS in business analytics

The UI is also requesting approval for a new Master of Science in business analytics program. If approved, it will be housed in the Tippie College of Business and will use an online format to allow for more flexibility in student schedules.

The Master of Science in business analytics has been offered at the UI since 2015, but the upcoming request is for an online expansion of the existing part-time program.

According to the request, the online version of the graduate program will teach graduate students on the application of data to the business world.

“With the Tippie College of Business reputation as a leading educator of analytics students, coupled with the demand from students and employers, conditions support the expansion of the MSBA program to the online space,” the request states.

Iowa State University has a similar business analytics program, but the UI’s program will have a synchronous section and aims to have maximum flexibility, as working professionals can select the courses, modality, and pace that is convenient to them. Students can take courses either online or in-person and begin in the fall, spring, or smaller.

Other regent universities support the creation of the two proposed programs.

“Business analytics continues to be an area of strong growth and I understand the desire to meet student demand by offering a variety of delivery modalities, including a fully online degree,” said David Spalding, dean of the Ivy College of Business at ISU.