Johnson County Sheriff’s Office budgets for MRAP replacement

The Johnson County Sheriff’s Office is requesting funding from the Board of Supervisors to replace the department’s Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicle. Sheriff Brad Kunkel has proposed buying a Lenco BearCat as an alternative.

Scott Ash/Now News Group

The Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Lenco BearCat (armored vehicle) is a popular attraction during the Sussex Touch-a-Truck event on Monday, Sept. 10, 2018. The free event, located behind at the Civic Center, features emergency vehicles, fire trucks, police cars, construction vehicles and more.

Cooper Worth, News Reporter

The Johnson County Sheriff’s Office is requesting funding to replace its Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected, or MRAP, vehicle with a more compact vehicle with similar functionality.

The Sheriff’s Office has proposed replacing the MRAP vehicle with the Lenco BearCat G2 armored vehicle ahead of the Sheriff’s Office’s annual budget meeting with the Johnson County Board of Supervisors on Monday. 

The BearCat will cost $240,000 with all of its equipment.

The MRAP vehicle was acquired by the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office in 2014 by the federal government through the 1033 program, which lends equipment to law enforcement. It has responded to 19 call-outs since 2014, as previously reported by The Daily Iowan.

The BearCat G2 is a smaller alternative to the MRAP and has been used for special operations units within the hundreds of federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies in the U.S. 

Following Black Lives Matter protests in summer 2020, the Iowa Freedom Riders requested the Iowa City City Council write a letter to the Johnson County officials in support of selling the MRAP vehicle, in a list of demands. 

The MRAP vehicle has been shared with the Iowa City Police Department since 2014 and has been deployed by the department seven times. 

Iowa City Police Chief Dustin Liston wrote in a memo to the Iowa City City Council that out of those seven incidents, four have occurred in the Iowa City south district, which has a higher proportion of residents of color.  

Iowa City Mayor Bruce Teague previously supported getting rid of the MRAP vehicle altogether at a city council meeting in the summer.

Photo of Cooper Worth
Cooper Worth, Pregame reporter

(he/him/his)
Cooper Worth is a Pregame Reporter for The Daily Iowan. He is a senior at the University of Iowa majoring in journalism and mass communication....

• Mazahir Salih interacts at her watch party at fix! Coffee on Tuesday, Nov. 7, 2023. Salih was reelected to her seat on the city council after receiving the highest number of votes. (Sahithi Shankaiahgari/The Daily Iowan)

City Council

IC Councilor Mazahir Salih advocates for more funding, outreach to immigrant community

• Mayor Bruce Teague addresses the council during a Iowa City City Council meeting at the City Hall on Tuesday, Feb. 6, 2024.

City Council

Johnson County rolls out county-wide free home energy audit program

• District C Councilor Andrew Dunn speaks during a Iowa City City Council meeting at the City Hall on Tuesday, Feb. 6, 2024.

City Council

Development group expresses interest in lot between Bluebird Diner, George’s Buffett

City Council

ICPD purchases $350,000 in vehicles, looks ahead to next fiscal year budget

• Former Iowa City Firefighter Sadie McDowell addresses the council during a Iowa City City Council meeting at the City Hall on Tuesday, Feb. 6, 2024. McDowell filed a lawsuit against the City of Iowa City in 2022 alleging she encountered sexism, racism and homophobia at the Iowa City Fire Department. The lawsuit ended after a 925,000 dollar settlement paid by the City of Iowa City.

City Council

Iowa City Fire Department discrimination lawsuit settled for $925,000

• The Iowa City Council holds a meeting in Iowa City on Tuesday, Aug. 15, 2023.

City Council

Iowa City officials explain ins and outs of zoning codes

• 2320 Taylor Dr. is seen next to Wetherby Park in Iowa City on Tuesday, Jan. 30, 2024.

City Council

Iowa City converting unused southside rental properties to affordable housing, park space

• The Iowa City Council holds a meeting in Iowa City on Monday, Nov. 6, 2023.

City Council

Iowa City begins process to update comprehensive plan

City Council

IC Northside Neighborhood Association succeeds in attempt to change city housing code

• The Iowa City Kirkwood campus is seen on Feb. 17, 2023.

City Council

Southside residents fearful of industrial development in old IC Kirkwood campus