Johnson County Sheriff’s Office budgets for MRAP replacement

The Johnson County Sheriff’s Office is requesting funding from the Board of Supervisors to replace the department’s Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicle. Sheriff Brad Kunkel has proposed buying a Lenco BearCat as an alternative.

Scott Ash/Now News Group

The Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Lenco BearCat (armored vehicle) is a popular attraction during the Sussex Touch-a-Truck event on Monday, Sept. 10, 2018. The free event, located behind at the Civic Center, features emergency vehicles, fire trucks, police cars, construction vehicles and more.

Cooper Worth, News Reporter

The Johnson County Sheriff’s Office is requesting funding to replace its Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected, or MRAP, vehicle with a more compact vehicle with similar functionality.

The Sheriff’s Office has proposed replacing the MRAP vehicle with the Lenco BearCat G2 armored vehicle ahead of the Sheriff’s Office’s annual budget meeting with the Johnson County Board of Supervisors on Monday. 

The BearCat will cost $240,000 with all of its equipment.

The MRAP vehicle was acquired by the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office in 2014 by the federal government through the 1033 program, which lends equipment to law enforcement. It has responded to 19 call-outs since 2014, as previously reported by The Daily Iowan.

The BearCat G2 is a smaller alternative to the MRAP and has been used for special operations units within the hundreds of federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies in the U.S. 

Following Black Lives Matter protests in summer 2020, the Iowa Freedom Riders requested the Iowa City City Council write a letter to the Johnson County officials in support of selling the MRAP vehicle, in a list of demands. 

The MRAP vehicle has been shared with the Iowa City Police Department since 2014 and has been deployed by the department seven times. 

Iowa City Police Chief Dustin Liston wrote in a memo to the Iowa City City Council that out of those seven incidents, four have occurred in the Iowa City south district, which has a higher proportion of residents of color.  

Iowa City Mayor Bruce Teague previously supported getting rid of the MRAP vehicle altogether at a city council meeting in the summer.

Facebook Comments

Cooper Worth, News Reporter

he/him/his

Cooper Worth is a news reporter for The Daily Iowan. He is a sophomore at the University of Iowa majoring...

• Iowa City mayor Bruce Teague listens Truth and Reconciliation Chair Amel Ali during a special meeting of Iowa City City Council for the removal Ali from her position on Thursday, Aug. 4, 2022.

City Council

Iowa City City Council delays motion to remove Truth and Reconciliation Commission chair

• The pool at the Robert A. Lee Recreation Center is seen in Iowa City on June 29, 2022.

City Council

Uncertainty surrounds future of Robert A. Lee Recreation Center

• The Iowa City Council is seen during an Iowa City Council meeting at Iowa City Hall on Tuesday, June 21, 2022

City Council

Iowa City City Council approves plans to assist low and moderate income residents

• Jaunita, left, and Elizabeth Thomas, right, check out a stand during ‘Juneteenth in our Neighborhood’ for a Juneteenth celebration in Iowa City on Saturday, June 18, 2022. Iowa City community members celebrated with music, games, vendors, and a fashion show.

City Council

Johnson County Juneteenth celebrations continue into Saturday

• The Iowa City City Council listens to a speaker during an Iowa City City Council meeting at the Iowa City City Hall on Monday, June 6, 2022.

City Council

The 2022 Affordable Housing Action Plan explores ways to create permanent housing options

• Photo illustration.

City Council

New Iowa City program to educate residents on eliminating food waste

• Mayor Bruce Teague speaks with undergraduate student government members at an Iowa City City Council meeting at City Hall in Iowa City on Tuesday, May 3, 2022.

City Council

Iowa City garbage collection fees to increase

• Executive director Mazahir Salih looks at a presentation at an Iowa City City Council meeting at City Hall in Iowa City on Tuesday, May 3, 2022.

City Council

Iowa City City Council to allocate more American Rescue Plan Act funds to city nonprofits

• The Coralville Reservoir is seen on Tuesday, Oct. 26, 2021.

City Council

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Friends of Coralville to take water out of Coralville lake, prevent flooding

• A car is seen parked in a bike lane on North Clinton Street in Iowa City.

City Council

Iowa City City Council cracks down on parking in bike lanes