Live updates | No. 22 Iowa football team faces Northwestern

After dropping back-to-back games, the Hawkeyes are seeking to get back in the win column against the Wildcats at Ryan Field.

Grace Smith

Iowa running back Tyler Goodson points to Iowa fans after his touchdown during a football game between No. 19 Iowa and Northwestern at Ryan Field in Evanston, Illinois, on Saturday, Nov. 6, 2021. (Grace Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Robert Read, Pregame Editor

EVANSTON, Ill. — The No. 22 Iowa football team is seeking its first win in a month while taking on Northwestern in a Saturday night matchup at Ryan Field.

The Hawkeyes (6-2 overall, 3-2 Big Ten) have dropped back-to-back games by double digits (to Purdue and Wisconsin) after starting the season 6-0. This week, Iowa is hoping to avenge last season’s loss to Northwestern (3-5, 1-4), who rallied from a 17-0 deficit to win, 21-20, last year at Kinnick Stadium. The Wildcats have won the Big Ten West in two of the last three years, including last season.

DI Pregame Editor Robert Read and Sports Reporter Chris Werner are in the press box in Evanston covering the game. Follow them, the live blog below, and @dipregame for updates throughout the day. The game is scheduled to kick off at 6:05 p.m. and will air on the Big Ten Network.

Pregame — Iowa cornerbacks Riley Moss and Terry Roberts made the trip but are not in uniform. Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz said earlier this week that both players were doubtful to play. Another player who was doubtful to play — No. 2 running back Ivory Kelly-Martin — is in uniform and going through pregame warmups. The senior is working through a couple “issues with his feet,” Ferentz said.

Defensive end Deontae Craig is also in uniform for the Hawkeyes after missing the past two games.

The starting offensive line appears to be the same as last week. From left to right: Mason Richman, Kyler Schott, Tyler Linderbaum, Connor Colby, and Jack Plumb.

Coin toss — Iowa won the coin toss and elected to defer its choice to the second half. Northwestern will start with the ball.

11:15 1Q — Northwestern went three-and-out on its first offensive possession of the game and punted right to Iowa. The Hawkeyes couldn’t do much better, picking up one first down before punting back to the Wildcats. Iowa now only has two scoring drives in its last 28 possessions.

7:38 1Q — After three-straight Tyler Goodson runs set the Hawkeyes up with fourth-and-one from their own 45-yard line, Ferentz opted to punt the ball. The Wildcats have the ball at their own 10 after the Tory Taylor punt.

1:30 1Q — Alex Padilla has replaced Spencer Petras at quarterback to start Iowa’s fourth drive of the game.

:22 1Q — Iowa gained one first down over its first three drives of the game against Northwestern with starter Spencer Petras leading the way. But on Padilla’s first drive, Iowa found the end zone. Padilla completed 3-of-4 passes for 45 yards on a six-play scoring drive that ended in a 13-yard touchdown run by running back Tyler Goodson. Over its previous 30 drives before that touchdown, Iowa had 14 points, 27 first downs, five interceptions, one lost fumble, four turnovers on downs, one missed field goal, and 15 punts. Petras was 2-of-4 throwing for four yards before exiting the game.

It’s unclear if Petras was benched or left the game with injury. Petras hurt his shoulder against Wisconsin last week. The Hawkeyes lead the Wildcats, 7-0.

14:19 2Q — Iowa defensive back Dane Belton records an interceptions to give the Hawkeyes the ball back.

11:59 2Q — Iowa’s starting left tackle Mason Richman is down receiving medical attention. Plumb is sliding over to left tackle, while Nick DeJong goes in at right tackle.

10:41 2Q — Freshman wide receiver Alrand Bruce IV took a sweep the left and broke through tackles for a 10-yard rushing touchdown that put the Hawkeyes up 14-0 over the Wildcats. Padilla is two-for-two in leading touchdown drives so far. That scoring play went 83 yards in nine plays.

7:05 2Q — After review, Northwestern converted on fourt-and-one near midfield and keeps possession of the football.

3:36 2Q — Padilla’s third drive of the game ended in an Iowa punt, which Northwestern blocked and ran down to the Iowa 9-yard line.

2:11 2Q — Northwestern missed a wide-open receiver in the back of the end zone on third down, but still came away with points on the drive after the field goal. Iowa leads Northwestern, 14-3.

Halftime — Iowa leads, 14-3.

7:05 3Q — A nine-play, 48-yard Iowa drive ends in a Caleb Shudak field goal. Iowa is now leading 17-7.

1:58 3Q — Northwestern responded with a field goal drive of its own. The drive started at the Wildcats’ own 3-yard line. Northwestern converted on fourth down once during the drive. A personal foul on Northwestern head coach Pat Fitzgerald pushed the Wildcats back when they reached the red zone. Iowa leads, 17-6.

An onside kick attempt after the field goal went out of bounds. Iowa takes over near midfield.

End 3Q — Iowa wide receiver Nico Ragaini just jogged into the locker room.

2:21 4Q — This game isn’t over yet. A 31-yard touchdown pass from Northwestern quarterback Andrew Marty to Evan Hull makes it a 17-12 ballgame. The Wildcat two-point conversion attempt was no good.

1:44 4Q — Northwestern got the ball back after an Iowa three-and-out, but Belton picked off a pass on the first play of the drive to seal the game.

FINAL — Iowa wins, 17-12.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates throughout the game.