Iowa women’s gymnastics victorious in Big Five Meet

Iowa defeated Michigan, Penn State, and Rutgers in Ann Arbor, Michigan, on Saturday.

Iowas+all-around+JerQuavia+Henderson+practices+on+the+beam+before+the+competition+round+during+a+womens+gymnastics+meet+between+Iowa%2C+Minnesota%2C+and+Maryland+on+Saturday%2C+Feb.+13%2C+2021+at+Carver+Hawkeye+Arena.+The+Hawkeyes+came+in+second+with+a+score+of+196.775+after+the+Gophers+won+with+196.975+and+Maryland+lost+with+195.350.+Henderson+went+on+to+receive+a+score+of+9.875.+

Hannah Kinson

Iowa’s all-around JerQuavia Henderson practices on the beam before the competition round during a women’s gymnastics meet between Iowa, Minnesota, and Maryland on Saturday, Feb. 13, 2021 at Carver Hawkeye Arena. The Hawkeyes came in second with a score of 196.775 after the Gophers won with 196.975 and Maryland lost with 195.350. Henderson went on to receive a score of 9.875.

Hunter Moeller, Sports Reporter

The No. 12 Iowa women’s gymnastics team found itself victorious in a matchup against three teams in Ann Arbor, Michigan, at the Big Five Meet on Saturday. The Hawkeyes now have a 9-0 conference record.

Iowa swept the competition inside the Crisler Center, finishing first place ahead of No. 5 Michigan, No. 30 Penn State, and No. 43 Rutgers. No. 31 Michigan State did not participate.

The Hawkeyes found themselves with one individual event title and tied for first in two other events. Six career-highs were set, along with two gymnasts finding themselves in the program’s record books.

Iowa head coach Larissa Libby was ecstatic by her team’s will to compete, she said in a prepared release.

“Honestly, feel like I’m in the twilight zone,” Libby said in a release. “That was a tough day! We had mistakes early on, in a competition like that are usually tough to overcome. Somehow, the team managed to refocus and give strong performances on our last two events, to finish just in front of Michigan.”

The Hawkeyes found themselves with a new season-best score on vault, with a 49.200. Four GymHawks set career bests. Sophomore JerQuavia Henderson scored a career-best 9.925, tying her for second place and putting her at ninth place in the program’s record books. Freshman Adeline Kenlin and junior Bridget Killian both scored a 9.850. The score is a career best for Kenlin and ties Killian’s career best. Junior Carina Tolan found herself with a career best, scoring a 9.800.

On beam, the GymHawks posted a 48.575. Senior Clair Kaji tied her career best and led the second-best Big Ten beam team with a 9.950. Kaji’s score was good enough to secure her a tie for first overall. Her score is also tied for second in the program’s record books. Kenlin scored a 9.850, and Killian followed with a 9.825.

Libby felt the Hawkeyes turned the competition around on beam and set the stage for the rest of the competition.

“I give a lot of credit to freshman Aubrey Nick for getting us back on track,” Libby said in a release. “Her beam routine tonight was stellar, and the emotional high that that moment provided gave us the inspiration needed to get through the event.”

RELATED: No. 12 GymHawks set for showdown in Ann Arbor

The GymHawks have dominated all season long on floor. The No. 1 nationally ranked floor team finished with a score of 49.375. Five GymHawks finished in the top five. Junior Lauren Guerin won the event with a 9.900. Henderson, Kaji, and Killian all finished tied for second place with a 9.875. The score is a career best for Killian. Junior Alex Greenwald posted a 9.850.

Henderson has been the only Iowa gymnast to participate in all-around in 2021. She ended the competition with a 38.550 total.

Coach Libby felt the team could have done better but knows that the Hawkeyes can reach higher.

“We were not good today, and that was frustrating because we are all aware of where our potential lies,” Libby said in a release. “We have a lot to figure out so we can get back on track and put our best gymnastics out there. However, tonight we will enjoy celebrating three more wins and our first against Michigan in their arena.”

Next up, Iowa will return to Iowa City to play host to Illinois inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena on March 6 at 1 p.m.