UI forms vice president for Student Life search committee

The committee’s formation comes after news of VP Melissa Shivers’ departure for Ohio State University.

The+Old+Capitol+is+seen+on+Nov.+25%2C+2018.+

Lily Smith

The Old Capitol is seen on Nov. 25, 2018.

Alexandra Skores, News Editor

The University of Iowa has announced a search committee for the new vice president for Student Life following the departure of current Student Life head Melissa Shivers.

Ohio State University on Wednesday named Shivers its new vice president for Student Life, effective Jan. 6, 2020. Shivers has led UI Student Life since 2017 after the division’s former Vice President Tom Rocklin retired.

The search committee that will lead the internal search for Shivers’ replacement includes:

• Sandra Daack-Hirsch, Faculty Senate president, associate professor
  • Dexter Golinghorst, UI Graduate and Professional Student Government president
  • Bria Marcelo, Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion director of diversity resources
  • Steve Goddard, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences dean
  • Laura McLeran, associate vice president for external relations and senior adviser to the president
  • Noel Mills, UI Student Government president
  • Heather Mineart, assistant to physics and astronomy department chair, and UI Staff Council vice president/president-elect

“I am excited about the opportunity in Columbus and at Ohio State, and I also am so thankful for the students and the ways that you all have deepened my commitment to student life as a profession, but just my commitment to being very student-centered and always thinking about what’s best for our students,” Shivers told The Daily Iowan. 

RELATED: UI Vice President for Student Life Melissa Shivers named Ohio State University VP

UI President Bruce Harreld said in the statement he hopes to make the final selection this fall.

“Vibrancy and strength in our Division of Student Life is critical to the overall success of our students,” he said. “We cannot lose the momentum built over the past several years in the areas of diversity, equity, and inclusion, mental health, fraternity and sorority life, and on-campus housing, to name a few.”