Guest Opinion: Why I’m caucusing for Beto O’Rourke

With his vision and plan for the country, the young Texan is the best candidate to lead the country.

Beto+ORourke+sits+down+for+an+interview+with+Daily+Iowan+staff+in+the+IMU+on+April+7%2C+2019.+ORourke+will+be+running+for+the+democratic+nomination+for+president.+

Katie Goodale

Beto O’Rourke sits down for an interview with Daily Iowan staff in the IMU on April 7, 2019. O’Rourke will be running for the democratic nomination for president.

I first met former Rep. Beto O’Rourke, D-Texas, when he came to Iowa’s campus last spring. Since being a part of a political organization at the University of Iowa, I have learned how to tell a good candidate from a bad candidate when it comes to how enthusiastic that said candidate is to meet young people. 

O’Rourke was, and still is, one of the best candidates I have met. He seemed less like a politician and more like a genuine person, ready to listen to us, understand our concerns, and was on our side. I believe that O’Rourke wants what is best for all Americans.

As a college student, there are so many issues that are important to me, but the biggest is gun safety. No student, child, or parent should be afraid to go to school. I am really impressed with O’Rourke’s plan to tackle gun violence, which includes red-flag laws, universal background checks and a mandatory buy-back plan for assault weapons. His leadership on gun policy shows that he leads with courage and stands for what he thinks is right. It’s why he called out credit card companies and banks to stop providing services for the sale of assault weapons — because he is only held accountable to everyday people, instead of special interests or corporations.

That’s what we need right now — leaders that are focused on tackling the issues we face, working for the people, and ensuring that everyone feels like they belong.

I am caucusing for O’Rourke and volunteering with his team because he is the leader that can unify this country and end the epidemic of gun violence. Join me in the fight for a better future for every American.

— Megan McEvoy 

UI Democrats Vice President