From Iowa City to Westeros: University of Iowa alum behind ‘Game of Thrones’ series

D.B. Weiss, who graduated in 1998 with an M.F.A. from the Iowa Writers’ Workshop, was a show runner for HBO’s successful series.

TNS

(L-R) David Benioff and D.B. Weiss attend HBO’s Game of Thrones eight and final season premiere at Radio City Music Hall in New York, NY, April 3, 2019. (Anthony Behar/Sipa USA/TNS)

Marissa Payne, Editor-in-Chief

As “Game of Thrones” fans  bid farewell with the Sunday night finale of HBO’s hit series, the University of Iowa congratulated one of its own who happens to be instrumental to running the show.

D.B. Weiss, a 1998 alum who graduated with an M.F.A. from the Iowa Writers’ Workshop, is a “Game of Thrones” co-creator, show runner, and writer.

The series has drawn record viewership for HBO and received 47 Primetime Emmy Awards, among several other awards and nominations, throughout its eight-season run. 

Many impassioned viewers of Sunday night’s finale took to Twitter to debate the merits of the show’s final season, with Weiss and co-creator David Benioff bearing the brunt of criticism. 

Nearly 1 million fans have signed a petition on change.org calling for the final season to be rewritten.

Some, however, sought to defend the show’s creators and remind fellow viewers of its overall success. 

Others were simply happy to see the show indeed has Hawkeye ties.

After “Game of Thrones,” the writing duo will take on a galaxy far, far away. Weiss and Benioff will turn their attention to writing and directing a new series of Star Wars movies, The Washington Post reported, which is slated for a December 2022 release.