Pauline Taylor announces run for City Council re-election

In a press release Thursday, Pauline Taylor announced that she will be seeking re-election in the November 2019 City Council Elections.

Caleb McCullough, News Reporter

City Councilor Pauline Taylor, who represents District A, announced that she will be running for re-election in a press release Thursday.

Taylor is in her first term as a city councilor after being elected in November 2015 and in her first term as Mayor Pro Tem, a position she was elected to by the council in January 2018.

Now retired, Taylor worked as a nurse at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics for 38 years. She remains involved in health care unions and promoting labor causes throughout the city.

RELATED: Iowa City councilor to seek re-election in November

“Taylor…believes that it is important to listen to members of the community,” the press release said. “She hopes that the Council will continue having Listening Posts, which they have been at different times at various locations throughout the city.”

Taylor plans to focus on similar issues to many of the current candidates in the race. She identified affordable housing as a top priority, hoping to cater to multiple populations across the community, including students, seniors, and families.

She also identified working on efficient transportation and encouraging sensible development as major goals for her second term.

RELATED: Mayor Jim Throgmorton not running for third term

Taylor is the only candidate so far to announce a bid for her district’s seat. Councilor John Thomas has also announced his plans to seek re-election.

Other candidates in the race include Megan Alter, a member of the board of directors for the Iowa Women’s Foundation and a manager of test development at ACT, and attorney Laura Bergus.

Mayor Jim Throgmorton announced on April 23 that he will not be seeking re-election.