Hawkeyes finish with school record on final day of Big Ten Championships

Iowa set a school record in the 400-free relay, earning an NCAA ‘A’ cut on Saturday.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

On the final day of the Big Ten Championships, Iowa set a school record in the 400-free relay and earned an NCAA ‘A’ cut.

Aleksey Tarasenko, Jack Smith, Will Scott, and Joe Myhre swam a time of 2:51.06 in the 400-free relay en route to the No. 1 time in Hawkeye history while meeting the NCAA ‘A’ qualifying standard.

The Hawkeyes finished the meet in eighth place with 560 points.

“We’re proud of how they stepped up and performed,” Iowa head coach Marc Long said in a release. “We finished well with an ‘A’ cut, something very few teams in the country can achieve. Seeing the seniors finish their careers in a good way makes us feel good. The point total won’t show how much growth has happened in these four years.”

Daniel Swanepoel recorded the second-fastest 200 breaststroke in school history with a time of 1:55.51 and Tanner Nelson followed with the fourth-best all-time in 1:58.06. The performances were good for 12th and 19th, respectively.

“Something clicked with me during my junior year and everything after that is history,” Nelson said in a release. “Going into this meet, I knew I had the perfect opportunity to go out the way I wanted. I’ll miss coming back at 6 a.m. to become the best person I can be. It all hits you at once, but I’m so grateful for the experience here at Iowa.”

In the 200 fly, Michael Tenney swam a career-best good for second in Iowa history with a time of 1:44.72, placing 10th.

Kenneth Mende was seventh in the 200 back finals, finishing in 1:42.53, which was good for seventh. Anze Fer Erzen finished sixth all-time in the Iowa record books with a time of 1:44.05.

The NCAA Diving Championships start on March 11. The NCAA Women’s Championships begin on March 20, while the NCAA Men’s Championships start March 27.