Iowa women’s hoops looks to build on solid numbers

Statistically, Iowa women’s basketball has had great success already this season, and the Hawkeyes want to build on it.

David Harmantas

Iowa guard Makenzie Meyer No. 3 drives into the lane during a women’s basketball game against Oral Roberts University on Friday, Nov. 9, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Golden Eagles 90-77.

Pete Mills, Sports Reporter

Heading into the third game of the season, Hawkeye women’s basketball team has enjoyed a significant amount of success.

The team will face North Carolina Central at Carver-Hawkeye Saturday night. It will be a tough game for the Lady Eagles, especially after seeing Iowa’s energetic performance against Western Kentucky earlier this week.

Central will have to overcome some big obstacles  if it is going to compete. The Hawkeyes have put up some impressive stats through the first couple games this season — it’s time to take a step back and take a gander at the state of Iowa women’s basketball.

RELATED: Gustafson perfect from the floor in dominant win over Lady Toppers

13 — Field goals attempted (and made) by Gustafson

In the matchup against Western Kentucky a few days ago, preseason All-American Megan Gustafson was nothing short of consistent.

She attempted 13 field goals against the Hilltoppers and converted all 13.

A common tactic teams use is to double- and triple-team Gustafson. This can also prove to be a problem. In the season-opener, the Hawkeyes often faced this situation. Forward Hannah Stewart came alive, and Gustafson responded with 6 assists as a result.

.620 — Iowa’s shooting percentage through the first two games

As a team, the Hawkeyes have shot consistently well this season. The 62 percent from the floor features a 49 percent mark from 3-point land. This effort has largely been led by senior Tania Davis, who is shooting 44 percent on 3-pointers.

This has made a big difference for the Hawkeyes. When teams attempt to put a lot of attention inside on Gustafson, Iowa has been able to respond this season with strong perimeter shooting. This type of play can make it an elite team.

14 — Total blocks in the first two games

Gustafson has stood tall with 7 blocks this season, putting her second in the Big Ten in blocks per game.

Opponents only have 2 blocks against the Hawkeyes. That margin was key for head coach Lisa Bluder’s team last season and is seemingly widening this season.

Strong play on the inside for the Hawkeyes has been extremely consistent in the past few years. Experienced veterans in Gustafson and Stewart have been steady. With improvement in shooting and a healthy Davis, this combination looks even more deadly.

Simply put, the Hawkeyes are good. Central, or any team Iowa faces, for that matter, will have a tall task ahead of it.

The biggest reason is that Iowa plays as a team, and that is something statistics sometimes can’t demonstrate. One thing to take away from these numbers is that Iowa has a lot of talent, and also that all of the players understand their roles and the best ways to win games.

The first matchups have been successful for Iowa, statistically and otherwise. For this success to continue against Central and beyond, Iowa must stay true to its physicality and chemistry.