Forum held with final College of Liberal Arts and Sciences dean candidate

DoVeanna Fulton from the University of Houston-Downtown held a forum as the last of four candidates for the new dean of the UI CLAS.

DoVeanna Fulton addresses audience members during the CLAS forum in the Pappajohn Business Building on Thursday Oct. 25, 2018. Fulton is the fourth finalist for the position. (Katie Goodale/The Daily Iowan)

Katie Goodale

Katie Goodale

Katie Goodale

Chris Borro, News Reporter

The final candidate for the position of the University of Iowa College of Liberal Arts & Sciences dean was introduced to faculty, staff, and students on Thursday.

DoVeanna Fulton, the dean of the College of Humanities & Social Sciences at the University of Houston-Downtown, began her forum in the Pappajohn Business Building by discussing her educational and professional history. She then presented a PowerPoint to answer a question selected by the Dean Search Committee.

She said the contemporary forces affecting the liberal arts are primarily sociocultural, technological, and financial.

RELATED: Goddard holds forum as third dean candidate for College of Liberal Arts & Sciences position

There is a push toward focusing on professional degrees and workforce skills, which denigrates the value of a liberal-arts degree, she said.

“I think … what has happened is that there’s been this dismissal or lack of trust for university knowledge,” Fulton said.

She proposed a “center for social justice and democracy,” which she described as a broad-scale public-engagement project.

RELATED: Second of 4 College of Liberal Arts & Sciences dean candidates holds forum

“We need to be at the center of public issues and changing the culture of public engagement surrounding liberal arts,” she said.

The proposed center would allow Liberal Arts faculty to converse with the Iowa City community on current events topics from a national and international level, Fulton said.

“One of the ways to engage the public is to present for public consumption our expertise around major issues of the day,” Fulton said.

RELATED: Kopp holds forum as first of four College of Liberal Arts & Sciences dean candidates

She also advocated for introducing environmental humanities classes and expanding online classes.

“We’re the experts, so why not offer potential opportunities for the students to pursue?” she said.

David Ryfe, the director of the UI School of Journalism and Mass Communication and co-chair of the search committee, introduced the candidate to the around 100-strong audience. During the final 20 minutes of the forum, Ryfe collected questions from the audience for Fulton.

Queries included the times she had to make unpopular decisions and how she managed the reaction, her views on the role of nontenure-track faculty, and how she managed student-success programs.

The previous Liberal Arts dean, Chaden Djalali, left the position at the end of the 2017-18 school year to become the executive vice president and provost at Ohio University.

• Forum held with final College of Liberal Arts and Sciences dean candidate

From Iowa City to Westeros: University of Iowa alum behind ‘Game of Thrones’ series

University of Iowa pays Modern Piping for Children’s Hospital dispute

Court lifts stay on order for UI to pay Modern Piping $13.5 million

Shivers: Campus community committed to making University of Iowa better

University of Iowa to open a new Student Services Center

University of Iowa receives national recognition for efforts supporting first-generation students

UI pharmacy school uses alums board to engage graduate students

Literary kiosk concludes introductory tour, more to arrive

UI senior Jack Feng reflects on time at the UI, public-health experience

Study finds correlation between sleep apnea, multiple myeloma