Memorial fund established in Mollie Tibbetts’ honor

Mollie Tibbetts’ memory lives on with the Mollie Tibbetts Memorial Fund for Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.

Mollie+Tibbetts

Mollie Tibbetts

A memorial fund established by Mollie Tibbetts’ family will support Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital.

According to a UI press release, more than 270 people have already donated over $20,000.

“We are so grateful to everyone who has shared in our grief,” Tibbetts’ mother Laura Calderwood said in the press release. “Thank you for exhibiting the values Mollie cherished – kindness and generosity.”

Calderwood said Tibbetts, a psychology major, once dreamed of becoming a child psychologist at the UI.

RELATED: ‘The Mollie Movement has just begun,’ relative says at Mollie Tibbetts’ service 

Now the fund in her name will benefit University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital, which provides a variety of mental health services for children and adolescents.

Tibbetts disappeared from her hometown of Brooklyn, IA in July and was found in a nearby cornfield about a month later.

Donations can be made to the Mollie Tibbetts Memorial Fund for Child and Adolescent Psychiatry here.

“We are incredibly thankful to everyone who has contributed to Mollie’s fund,” Calderwood said, according to the press release. “She was incredibly generous in her life, so it is fitting that her name will live on by benefiting others.”

-Julia DiGicomo