Iowa football’s Brady Reiff suspended for season-opener

On July 23, Kirk Ferentz announced Brady Reiff’s consequences for being charged with public intoxication.

Iowa football helmets line the sidelines during a game against Purdue University on Saturday, Nov. 18, 2017. The Boilermakers defeated the Hawkeyes 24 to 15. (David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan)

David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan

David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan

David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan

CHICAGO ​— On July 21, Iowa defensive lineman Brady Reiff was charged with public intoxication. At the time, officials did not announce any consequences; Iowa Athletics Director Gary Barta released a statement at the time saying the program would look into the situation and examine the details.

Two days later, head coach Kirk Ferentz announced that Reiff would be suspended for the season-opener against Northern Illinois on Sept. 1.

“I’m not pleased about what we learned about Brady Reiff this past weekend,” Ferentz said. “I had a chance to talk to visit with him [Monday]. He’s going to go through a couple steps, but one of the items of interest will be that he will be suspended for the first game.”

Details emerged following Reiff’s citation that he mistook a parked police car for an Uber vehicle and tried to enter through a passenger door. According to a police report, Reiff registered a blood-alcohol content of .204.

Reiff was competing for a starting job this season. In 2017, he tallied 13 tackles and 1 sack in 12 games.

Facebook Comments