Iowa rowing stays hot at the Henley

Against some of the top competition in the world, Iowa rowing has fared well.
The Daily Iowan; Photos by Lily
Iowa’s rowing team practices on the Iowa River on Friday, Sept. 15, 2017. The rowing team recently finalized their schedule, with two home competitions on Oct. 6 and 7. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)

After two days of competition at the Henley Royal Regatta on the River Thames in England, Iowa rowing has made its mark in the history books.

On July 5, the Hawkeye 1V crew became the first Big Ten crew in the 179-year history of the event to win a women’s race. Iowa topped a composite crew from Molesey, the BC Tideway Scullers, and Edinburgh University in the first round of the event.

Against the Australian Senior National Team on July 6 morning, head coach Andrew Carter’s Varsity 8 lost by 2 lengths. The Australians were the bronze medalists at the second World Cup Regatta just two weeks ago.

“The win in the first round is a milestone in that it is the first win for a Big Ten team in any women’s race in the history of Henley Royal Regatta,” Carter said in a release. “Regardless of how the remaining regatta goes for us, no one will ever get to take that away.”