UI wrestler Sam Stoll injured after gunshot wound

Sam Stoll, a member of the University of Iowa wrestling program, was shot in the knee early on the morning of June 19.

Iowa wrestler Sam Stoll walks off the mat after losing his match to Michigan wrestler Adam Coon at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Saturday, Jan. 27, 2018. The Wolverines defeated the Hawkeyes 19-17.
 (David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa wrestler Sam Stoll walks off the mat after losing his match to Michigan wrestler Adam Coon at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Saturday, Jan. 27, 2018. The Wolverines defeated the Hawkeyes 19-17. (David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan)

David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan

David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan

David Harmantas/The Daily Iowan

Hawkeye wrestler Sam Stoll has been hospitalized after suffering a gunshot wound early on June 19. The injuries are not life-threatening.

Authorities received an emergency call at 4:37 a.m., and quickly afterwards, Stoll was taken to the University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics.

According to an Iowa City police press release, Stoll was shot accidentally in the knee. The release pointed out that, according to a preliminary investigation, “several individuals” were at the Valley Avenue residence when the incident took place.

“We are aware of the situation involving Sam Stoll and are currently gathering additional information at this time,” the Iowa Athletics Department said in a statement released June 19.

In 2018, Stoll was an All-American for the Hawkeyes. He placed fifth at the NCAA Championships and also placed fourth at the Big Tens. Stoll racked up a 25-6 record in 2018 and led the Hawkeyes with 10 pins (his win total ranked third on the team).

The season before, Stoll tallied a 7-2 record before tearing his ACL in a match against Oklahoma State, cutting his season short and causing him to miss the remaining three months of competition.

Stoll had another knee injury during the 2015-16 season but continued to compete throughout the season.

Facebook Comments