Reynolds signs legislation cracking down on ‘sanctuary cities’

New legislation bars funds from going to local entities that discourage enforcement of federal immigration policies, but a city official says the effect on Iowa City will be limited.

Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds speaks during her first Condition of the State address in the Iowa State Capitol in Des Moines on Tuesday, Jan. 9, 2018. Reynolds took over the governor office in May of 2017. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep

Sarah Watson, [email protected]

Iowa City officials say the city will not be in danger of losing funds after Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds signed a bill that would crack down on “sanctuary cities” on Tuesday.

The bill, Senate File 481, which supporters have said is in response to immigration policies in Iowa City as well as other cities across the country, would deny any state funding to “local entities” that discourage enforcing federal immigration policies.

The bill passed the Iowa House on April 3, 55-45, and the Iowa Senate a day later on a 28-18 vote before Reynolds signed the legislation, which will take effect July 1.

Opponents of the bill say there are no sanctuary cities in Iowa, and they suggest the bill would only stoke racial division and paint the appearance of being unfriendly to immigrants. Rep. Art Staed, D-Cedar Rapids, said he hadn’t heard of any obstructions with federal immigration officials during debate on the House floor.

“There is no basis for this bill,” he said.

Supporters say the legislation introduces appropriate rule of law to local immigration policies, and point to Iowa City policies as examples of discouraging enforcement of federal immigration laws.

“These are all traditional levels of cooperation that take place across the nation and across most areas of Iowa,” Rep. Steven Holt, R-Denison, the bill’s floor manager in the House, said prior to the House vote.

In January 2017, the Iowa City City Council passed a resolution formalizing previous practices, stating it would not use local resources to enforce federal immigration law.

“The resolution includes a statement that Iowa City will comply with all state and federal laws,” City Manager Geoff Fruin said in an email to The Daily Iowan on Monday, prior to Reynolds signing the legislation. “Thus we will comply with SF481 if it is signed into law and will not be at risk of losing any state funds.”

RELATED: Officials wrestle with sanctuary

Iowa City is expected to receive $2.62 million in state funds and grants for fiscal 2019, according to its proposed budget. State funds could be renewed after 90 days if the local entity is found to be in violation of the law.

Local entities are required to update their immigration policies to comply with state laws no later than Jan. 1, 2019. Fruin said Iowa City would update its policies, but did not anticipate “significant changes to [its] daily law-enforcement operations.”

In March 2017, the Johnson County Board of Supervisors issued a joint statement with Johnson County Sheriff Lonny Pulkrabek saying the Sheriff’s Office wouldn’t honor voluntary detainment requests or assist in federal immigration raids.

The bill would require local entities to comply with federal detainment requests as long as there are both written and oral requests from federal immigration officials.

A voluntary detainer request is a document federal immigration officials may use to ask local law enforcement to hold a suspected unauthorized immigrant for up to 48 hours to give federal immigration officials time to take the immigrant into custody.

The bill also prohibits any discrimination based on race, skin color, language spoken, or national origin.

City Councilor Mazahir Salih, an Eastern Iowa Center for Worker Justice organizer, said she thinks the legislation will deter legal or unauthorized immigrants from living in Iowa City and cooperating with law enforcement. Salih also said her comments were not intended to reflect the City Council but rather her position as a worker-justice organizer.

“I worry [this legislation] really builds communities that turn their backs on immigrants, friends, and neighbors, which is very bad,” Salih said. “If a city is not a welcoming city, people will not come to it.”

Sarah Watson, Politics Editor

Twitter: @K_5mydearwatson

Sarah Watson is the current Politics Editor at the DI, coordinating breaking news and in-depth coverage of Iowa politics. She reported on UI Student Government and Iowa politics as a reporter her freshman year.

• Reynolds signs legislation cracking down on ‘sanctuary cities’

Kid Captain

The Hawkeye Spirit: Children’s Hospital and Iowa football celebrate a decade of Kid Captain

Gubernatorial candidates raise record funds

Updated approval process makes it easier to use drones on campus

UI’s tobacco ban difficult to enforce as students continue to smoke on campus

Downtown

Is Iowa City’s Ped Mall worthy of national landmark status?

Kid Captain

Kid Captain received best birthday gift ever — a kidney transplant

Downtown

Big Grove executive chef named Iowa Restaurateur of the Year

Homecoming Council strives for inclusivity through new initiatives

Crime/Courts

Des Moines man accused of sexual abuse

Second of 4 College of Liberal Arts and Sciences dean candidates holds forum