Lyft offers free rides for March for Our Lives attendees

Lyft will offer free rides to people attending March for Our Lives rallies around the nation.
Lily Smith
Southeast Junior High School 8th grader Casper Ferreria and Iowa City High School junior Illeana Knaap protest on the Ped Mall on Monday, Feb. 19, 2018. The protest was sparked after news of another school shooting, at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, in Parkland, FL on, Feb. 14. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The voices of student activists echo throughout the nation, calling upon individuals and businesses to support gun-control legislation and end school violence.

On March 24, many in the U.S. will gather for nationwide March for Our Lives rallies, and Lyft has offered its services for transportation to many events.

The ride-sharing service will offer complimentary rides to rally patrons in 50 cities across the nation in the hopes of maximizing participation and attendance numbers. While ride opportunities are limited, confined within a $1.5 million budget, the company hopes to maximize attendance and opportunities for transportation.

“What they’re doing is fantastic,” Iowa City student and Students Against School Shootings member Poseybelle Stoeffler said. “Any college student or high-school senior that didn’t have a ride now has a convenient and free way to get to the march. We’re also excited that Lyft supports us and the cause. I’m sure their contribution will impact our numbers greatly.”

In a letter addressed to Stoneman Douglas High students, Lyft cofounders Logan Green and John Zimmer applauded student efforts and offered support through a promise of civic engagement.

“Your bravery and intelligence have provided a renewed and much needed hope for our future,” the letter reads. “We are incredibly grateful for the example you are setting.”

Since the Feb. 14 shooting in Parkland, Florida, many activists have called upon large businesses and corporations to amend their policies on the sales of firearms as well as to encourage the support of the Never Again movement. While Lyft is only one of numerous businesses that have pledged support to the cause, attendees are applauding the efforts.

“I think that Lyft offering rides is a testament to the power of this movement,” UI student and activist Ryan Hall said. “These organizers are getting huge businesses to act where our politicians will not. This social movement has proved more powerful than we could have imagined.”

Iowa City’s march, organized by members of the Students Against School Shootings, will take place on March 24, starting at College Green Park and venturing to the Pentacrest. According to the event’s Facebook page, more than 1,000 individuals have expressed support and interest in the rally, despite the strong possibility of poor conditions that day.

“I’ve been really inspired by the reaction from students as young as elementary school who’ve stepped up to make their voices heard,” state Senate candidate (and former *Daily Iowan* writer) Zach Wahls said. “Since Columbine, it feels like there’s been an unrelenting amount of violence in our schools, and it has to stop. We can’t go on like this.”