Hinterland Music Festival announces fourth annual lineup

The Des Moines based Hinterland Music Festival announces its lineup. Hinterland focuses on its unique, Midwestern location, drawing attention to a mix of urban and rural essences.

Lead vocalist Lauren Mayberry of the Scottish electronic band CHVRCHES, sings during their set on the Pentacrest in Iowa City on Friday, Oct. 9. The group performed a free show in honor of homecoming week. (The Daily Iowan/Brooklynn Kascel)

Claire Dietz, [email protected]

The Des Moines-based Hinterland Music Festival has announced their fourth-year lineup, which includes names like Band of Horses, Sturgill Simpson, CHVRCHES, Nathaniel Rateliff, and Blackberry Smoke amongst others.

The festival will take play from Aug. 3-4 at the Avenue of the Saints Amphitheater in St. Charles, Iowa. Tickets and camping passes will go on sale Friday, February 16.

A more complete lineup includes the likes of Sturgill Simpson, Band of Horses, CVRCHES, Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats, Blackberry Smoke, Margo Price, Tash Sultana, Anderson East, J Roddy Walston and The Business, Tyler Childers, Joshua Hedley, The Nadas, and Ancient Posse.

Band of Horses is perhaps best known for their song “The Funeral” and have been around since 2004, during which they’ve released six albums and gone through many band members before settling on their current lineup of: Ben Bridwell, who provides both vocals and guitar, Ryan Monroe, who plays keyboard, Creighton Barrett, the drummer, and Matt Gentling, who plays bass.

Sturgill Simpson is a Kentucky-based rock and country singer who has released several albums, including “Metamodern Sounds in Country Music”, which is best known as being nominated for Grammy Award for Best Americana Album and made the Rolling Stone’s 50 best albums of 2014. His third album “A Sailor’s Guide to Earth” was nominated at the 2017 Grammy’s for both Album of the Year and Best Country Album, which he ultimately won.

CHVRCHES is described as a Scottish synth-pop band from Glasgow, Ireland, with a history extending back to 2011. The band is made up of Iain Cook, who utilizes synthesizers, the guitar, bass, and voice, Martin Doherty, who primarily works with synthesizers, samples, as well as singing, and Lauren Mayberry, who is lead vocalist and drummer.

Their first album “The Bones of What You Believe” was named number five on the Sound of Music 2013, which is curated by the BBC. Their sophomore album was released in 2015 under the title of “Every Open Eye.” Their latest album “Love is Dead” is expected to be released sometime in 2018.

In naming only a few of the bands to be expected at the Hinterland Music Festival, the festival shows promise of an exciting lineup.

• Hinterland Music Festival announces fourth annual lineup

Arts

Gabe’s drops the bass

Arts

1st Gala Ball dazzles BSU

Arts

Homecoming show features attitude

Arts

Review: Hellraiser

Arts

Storm Large brings message of love, music to Hancher

The Man with a Million Questions: Behind Iowa City trivia nights

Student Spotlight

UI student and rapper Nobi remains in the shadows of the hip-hop world

Music

LAV.ISH ready to open for Homecoming headliner Lizzo

Theater

New play about relationships focuses on bisexuality, environmental issues

Multimedia

Photos: LoveBird