Dance Marathon 24 shatters fundraising records, raising more than $3 million

After not setting a fundraising goal for Dance Marathon 24, the organization is celebrating raising a record-breaking $3 million.

The Big Reveal shows a UI-record breaking amount for Dance Marathon 24 in the IMU on Saturday, Feb. 3, 2018. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Lily

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Lily

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Lily

As a multicolored crowd cheered at the end of the 24-hour-long event, Dance Marathon revealed that its members raised a record-shattering $3,011,015.24, making it the second school to hit the $3 million mark.

Since its beginning 23 years ago, Dance Marathon has raised more than $21 million toward finding a cure for pediatric cancer, and it has raised more than $1 million at each Big Event in the last nine years.

In 2017, the organization raised nearly $2.6 million. While it was a record-breaking amount, Dance Marathon fell short of their goal of $2,76 million. Members decided not to set a goal this year.

“What this tote board reveals has never and will never dictate the success of this organization,” Business Director Dylan Ritchie said.

Freshman Dancer Haley Vaughn started out the Big Event unsure of what the next 24 hours would bring and ended it feeling overwhelmed and grateful for the opportunity to help those who need it.

She raised $500 to qualify as a dancer by calling on family and friends for donations. She had a little difficulty this year but said the experience will help her in the future.