Hawkeye hoops herds Buffaloes in South Dakota

Well-balanced scoring and a career-high night from Maishe Dailey propelled Iowa to a win over Colorado on Dec. 22 in South Dakota.
The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Al
Iowa guard Maishe Dailey (1) drives the ball to the hoop during the game between Iowa and Southern at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Sunday, Dec. 10. Iowa went on to defeat Southern 91-60. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

It wasn’t always pretty, but Iowa managed to snare a win in its second-to-last nonconference game of the season, taking down Colorado, 80-73 on Dec. 22 in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

Maishe Dailey poured in a career-high 16 points and grabbed 5 rebounds coming off the bench, his best performance in a Hawkeye uniform.

Isaiah Moss’ 16 points led the Hawkeye starters, with Jordan Bohannon adding 14 after a slow start and Tyler Cook scoring 12.

The Hawkeyes overcame a sloppy night handling and passing the ball, as they stumbled their way to 19 turnovers.

Neither team could find any rhythm from deep; Iowa only made 20 percent of its 3-pointers (3-of-15), and Colorado hit 26.1 percent of its shots (6-of-23).

The Hawkeyes made nearly 50 percent of their shots from the floor (26 of 53) while holding the Buffaloes to 42.6 percent.

McKinley Wright IV, just seven days removed from a 30-point outing against South Dakota State, led all scorers with 21 points.

Arguably the biggest factor for Iowa came at the free-throw line. The Hawkeyes shot 25-of-36 from the stripe, and the Buffaloes only made 9 of their 17 attempts.