Hawkeye hoops herds Buffaloes in South Dakota

Well-balanced scoring and a career-high night from Maishe Dailey propelled Iowa to a win over Colorado on Dec. 22 in South Dakota.

Iowa guard Maishe Dailey (1) drives the ball to the hoop during the game between Iowa and Southern at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Sunday, Dec. 10. Iowa went on to defeat Southern 91-60. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

It wasn’t always pretty, but Iowa managed to snare a win in its second-to-last nonconference game of the season, taking down Colorado, 80-73 on Dec. 22 in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

Maishe Dailey poured in a career-high 16 points and grabbed 5 rebounds coming off the bench, his best performance in a Hawkeye uniform.

Isaiah Moss’ 16 points led the Hawkeye starters, with Jordan Bohannon adding 14 after a slow start and Tyler Cook scoring 12.

The Hawkeyes overcame a sloppy night handling and passing the ball, as they stumbled their way to 19 turnovers.

Neither team could find any rhythm from deep; Iowa only made 20 percent of its 3-pointers (3-of-15), and Colorado hit 26.1 percent of its shots (6-of-23).

The Hawkeyes made nearly 50 percent of their shots from the floor (26 of 53) while holding the Buffaloes to 42.6 percent.

McKinley Wright IV, just seven days removed from a 30-point outing against South Dakota State, led all scorers with 21 points.

Arguably the biggest factor for Iowa came at the free-throw line. The Hawkeyes shot 25-of-36 from the stripe, and the Buffaloes only made 9 of their 17 attempts.

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

Adam Hensley is the current Pregame Editor at the DI, covering football, men’s basketball, and baseball. Formerly the DI Sports Editor, Hensley has been on staff for all four years of his time at the University of Iowa, covering a wide range of sports, including cross-country, track and field, and women’s basketball.

• Hawkeye hoops herds Buffaloes in South Dakota

Men's Basketball

New number represents Tyler Cook’s growth

DITV

DITV: Basketball player Tyler Cook will return for next season

Point guard Connor McCaffery ready for a fresh start

Men's Basketball

Hawkeye basketball looks to improve defense

Men's Basketball

A healthy Luka Garza is key for Iowa basketball

Men's Basketball

Iowa basketball’s Garza out indefinitely following surgery

Men's Basketball

Big Ten schedule set for Hawkeye basketball

Men's Basketball

Previewing Iowa basketball’s non-conference schedule

Men's Basketball

Iowa basketball’s stat-sheet hero: Luka Garza

Men's Basketball

Leonard trade Spurs’ disappointment