Women’s hoops loses Tania Davis for the season

In their best start since 2010-\'11, the Hawkeyes received dreadful news on Monday - Tania Davis will miss the remainder of the season with an ACL tear in her left knee.

Iowa guard Tania Davis yells during the Iowa/Florida State Big Ten/ACC Challenge basketball game at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Wednesday, Nov. 29, 2017. The Seminoles defeated the Hawkeyes, 94-93, in the Hawkeyes first loss of the season. (Lily Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Lily

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Lily

Sean Bock, [email protected]

Iowa junior guard Tania Davis will miss the remainder of the season after tearing the medial meniscus and an anterior cruciate ligament in her left knee, a release announced on Dec. 18.

Davis suffered the injury in the second quarter of Iowa’s 71-48 win over Northern Iowa on Dec. 17.
A native of Flint, Michigan, Davis averaged 9.7 points, 5.2 assists, 3.2 rebounds, and 28.9 minutes per game while starting in all 12 contests this season.
Last season, Davis missed the final 11 games with an ACL tear in her right knee.
The injury will make a significant hit on the Hawkeyes’ already thin depth at guard.
Alexis Sevillian, who started games during the absence of Kathleen Doyle, will likely become a full-time starter and play big minutes for the rest of the season.
It will be interesting to see if head coach Lisa Bluder decides to get walk-on freshman guard Zion Sanders some reps — she hasn’t played meaningful minutes yet this year.
The Hawkeyes will explore a potential hardship waiver under NCAA rules for Davis, according to the release.

• Women’s hoops loses Tania Davis for the season

Football

Injured Hawkeyes headline Week 8 of college football

Field Hockey

Hawkeye field hockey chugs on despite no Iowa high school play

Football

Nebraska football celebrates its ‘best’ practice of 2018

Cross Country

Iowa cross-country runs alone, finishes for the team

Football

By the numbers: Hawkeye quarterback Nate Stanley playing at a record pace

DITV

DITV Sports Newscast: October 16th, 2018

Football

Point-Counterpoint: Will Nate Stanley break Iowa’s passing touchdown record?

Rowing

Iowa rowing’s first varsity eight looks to fill seats

Soccer

Iowa’s new sole female soccer coach takes an ‘attacking-minded’ style

Football

Stanley’s 6-touchdown performance garners awards