Men’s golf looks to out fall strong

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep
Iowa’s Alex Schaake swings during a tournament at the Donald Ross Course at the Cedar Rapids Country Club in Cedar Rapids on Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2017. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

The Iowa men’s golf team will conclude its fall schedule at the Royal Oak Collegiate in Dallas Oct. 23-24.

The field is made up of 12 teams, three of which are ranked: No. 7 Baylor, No. 13 Kent State, and No. 16 Arkansas.

The par-71 Royal Oaks Country Club is 7,068 yards and was built in 1969.

The Hawkeyes want to rebound from their last outing, in which they finished seventh at Windon Memorial in Chicago after being in second going into the final day.

“Heading into the off-season, there is always a sense of urgency to play well,” head coach Tyler Stith said in a release. “We want to finish the season with our best performance of the fall. It’s a good field with a number of postseason-caliber teams. We can’t worry about the other teams. We have to manage ourselves and the golf course. We are returning four guys from a year ago. Experience at a golf course is valuable, but we still have to execute shots.”

In last year’s Royal Oak Collegiate, Iowa finished fifth among 11 teams; it won the tournament in 2010.

The lineup will include Alex Schaake, Matthew Walker, Benton Weinberg, Ryoto Furuya, and Sam Meuret.

First and second round action will begin today at 8:30 a.m. (CDT) in a shotgun format. The final round is scheduled for 8:15 a.m. (CDT) Oct. 24.