Iowa politicians respond to Las Vegas mass shooting

TNS
Family members of victims of the recent mass shooting that killed more than 50 and injured more than 500 console each other outside a family assistance center on Oct. 2, 2017 in Las Vegas, Nev. (Marcus Yam/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

Gov. Kim Reynolds ordered that all Iowa’s flags fly at half-staff until Friday, according to a Monday release from the Governor’s Office.

The Iowa Capitol as well as flags on display in the Capitol Complex are included. Local individuals, businesses, schools, and other government subdivisions are encouraged to participate, the release read.

The order was enacted Monday following the largest mass shooting in U.S. history, which took place Sunday night at a Mandalay Bay concert in Las Vegas.

Officials reported that at least 59 people are dead and at least 515 are injured. The toll is rising.

RELATED: Iowans describe their experiences in Las Vegas mass shooting

Reynolds, Sens. Joni Ernst and Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, U.S. Reps. Steve King, Rod Blum, R-Iowa, and Dave Loebsack, D-Iowa, all took to Twitter to offer their condolences to the victims and their families.

Ernst offered an additional statement in a release from her office.

“My prayers are with all of the victims in Las Vegas and their loved ones affected by this senseless act of violence,” she said. “As we learn more about what happened in the days ahead, let us come together and show our gratitude to our first responders and the other unsung heroes who put their lives on the line for others.”

— by Madeleine Neal

Iowa politicians take to Twitter to respond

Sen. Joni Ernst

Sen. Chuck Grassley

Rep. Steve King

Rep. Dave Loebsack

Rep. Rod Blum