Branstad mum on China post

AP
Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad arrives at Trump Tower in New York, Tuesday, Dec. 6, 2016. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik)

CEDAR RAPIDS (AP) — Gov. Terry Branstad met with the President-elect Donald Trump in New York on Tuesday but had no announcement about a post in the new administration.

The meeting followed speculation that Branstad, who has had a longtime working friendship with Chinese President Xi Jinping and was a strong supporter of Trump during the presidential campaign, is the president-elect’s top choice to be ambassador to China. If nominated, Branstad would then face Senate confirmation.

Following the meeting, Branstad, who was accompanied by his wife, Chris, and staffers, briefly spoke to reporters, saying he is excited about the quality of people Trump is attracting to his administration, according to Radio Iowa. However, he deflected questions about the China post.

Although he and Trump “had an opportunity to talk about a number of things,” Branstad said he “can’t comment on that at this point in time.”

His office releases the following statement:

“I appreciate the invitation that President-elect Trump extended to my wife and me today. … I truly appreciated the opportunity to meet. We had a very cordial conversation about the role Iowa played in his overall success by winning 93 of 99 counties and flipping 34 counties that previously went for President Obama.

“It’s clear that his jobs message resonated with Iowans and the rest of the country. It’s refreshing to see his bold leadership that will put people to work, give power back to the states, and “Make America Great Again.’

“We also talked about the transition and his new administration. He is putting together a great Cabinet that will serve the American people well.

“While there has been speculation regarding an appointment to serve in this administration, I have no announcement to make at this time.”

Branstad met with the president-elect at Trump Tower while in New York for a previously scheduled economic-development trip. He plans to return to Iowa in time for Trump’s Thursday afternoon victory tour rally in Des Moines.

The meeting with Trump was Branstad’s second with the new administration. He met recently with Vice President-elect Mike Pence in Washington, D.C., during a trip that also included visits with Iowa’s congressional delegation and top national Republicans.