Big Ten Media Days: Highlights from Penn State HC James Franklin’s presser

By Courtney Baumann

Penn State head coach James Franklin spoke to members of the media at Big Ten Media Days to discuss the upcoming 2016-2017 season.

•  Began by extending condolences to Nebraska, Michigan State, Folks, and Sadler families.
  •  Really, really proud of our players on their successes off the field.”
  •  “There’s a confidence with our guys… With everything we’ve been through and the challenges we’ve been through, I feel great about our locker room right now.”
  • First year back to 85 scholarships for the team.
  • Excited about the depth starting to form at the running back position.
  • On the number of seniors on the team – “Our numbers are still a little bit out of whack.”
  • “This is an exciting and pivotal time for Penn State and college athletics right now.”
  • On Nyeem Wartman-White returning from injury – “Having him back is going to be significant from a leadership standpoint and a production standpoint… We do have to ease him back into the process.”
  • On offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead – “It’s one thing to have one year where your numbers are impressive. It’s another thing to have it multiple years in a row.”
  • “There are very high expectations of Penn State, and there should be.”
  • Every snapper, kicker, and punter will be returning on special teams, as well as ones recruited and redshirted.
  • “Our coaching staff knew that year one and year two would be the toughest of the new sanctions… This is going to be an important year to show our progress and where we’re going.”
  • On negative connotations with Penn State recruiting – “You have to be prepared, you have to have a plan… You’re having conversations with people about things you didn’t have anything to do with. Things that happened over 40 years ago. You have to be transparent and honest.”