Recap: Pure Bathing Culture at Yacht Club for Mission Creek

By Justus Flair | [email protected]

The dark, underground basement vibe of Yacht Club was perfect for Pure Bathing Culture with Pillar Point and MAIDS on Friday night.

Though the headliners didn’t appear until midnight, the show was captivating starting at 10 p.m. when MAIDS took the stage. It was nice to see a semi-local band featured – they’re based out of Des Moines. Their electronic pop blend got the crowd plenty warmed up for Pillar Point.

pbc2From Seattle, Pillar Point has been on tour for three months with Pure Bathing Culture. Mission Creek was their last show before heading home, so they put their all into it. Every member was dancing, lost in the music as fog swirled around them and the lights flashed from red to blue to green. They kept the energy alive through their 40-minute set, then bowed out gracefully.

Pure Bathing Culture rounded out the night with a straight hour of powerhouse vocals and beats that shook the bar. Standing in the front row next to the speaker was almost overwhelming, but in the best way. Yacht Club, not overly large, provided a great space to see the musicians at work up close, letting me fully appreciate how invested and talented they were. They ended in a blaze, red lines shining as they clomped off the stage.