Iowa wrestlers boil Purdue, 39-4

Iowa dominates from start to finish in a 39-4 win in Big Ten dual meet action.

The Hawkeye wrestling team has dominated Big Ten competition throughout the season, and the Jan. 22 dual against Purdue in Carver-Hawkeye was another big win for Iowa.

Thomas Gilman started things off hot with a takedown clinic against Ben Thornton, winning the match 23-8 by technical fall. He totaled 11 takedowns and registered his 14th bonus-point victory of the season.

Iowa also got a bonus-point victory from Cory Clark, who won by major decision, 12-0.

“I really don’t say a whole lot about feeling good about things, but I really like this team because they score points,” Iowa head coach Tom Brands said. “They’re trying to score points.”

The evening was also the first time this season that 141-pounder Brody Grothus had the chance to compete in a dual meet. He has battled an injury but won his match, 6-0.

Despite Grothus’ win, Brands said the plan is to give Topher Carton the nod on Jan. 24 against Nebraska.

“It’s not going to come down to a wrestle-off, I’ll tell you that right now,” Brands said. “I made it very clear that this is not about getting in the lineup. This is about, doggone we need 10 weight classes, and we have to quit talking about it and start doing it.”

Speaking of other weight classes, Iowa registered four bonus-point victories after 149-pounder Brandon Sorensen dropped Purdue’s Alex Griffin, 8-2. Edwin Cooper Jr. (157) and Sam Stoll (285) both got pins. Sammy Brooks (184) added a major decision, and Nathan Burak (197) talllied a technical fall.

The Hawkeyes lone loss of the night came at the hands of No. 7 Chad Welch, who scored a major decision against Burke Paddock at 165. There is still very much a battle going on there, a weight Iowa has not been able to find a good answer to this season. Considering how the coaching staff is handling 141, it’s likely that 165-pounder Patrick Rhoads — who was listed on the probable lineups earlier in the week — will get the start against Nebraska, though Brands did not specifically say that would be the case.

Iowa’s dual against the Cornhuskers is set to begin at 2 p.m. and will be televised on Big Ten Network plus.

Iowa 39, Purdue 4

(Iowa results in bold)

125 — No. 2 Thomas Gilman technical fall Ben Thornton, 23-8 (5-0 Iowa)

133 — No. 3 Cory Clark major decision Luke Welch, 12-0 (9-0 Iowa)

141 — Brody Grothus decision Danny Sabatello, 6-0 (12-0 Iowa)

149 — No. 2 Brandon Sorensen decision Alex Griffin, 8-2 (15-0 Iowa)

157 — No. 16 Edwin Cooper Jr. pinned Doug Welch in 2:37 (21-0 Iowa)

165 — No. 7 Chad Welch major decision Burke Paddock, 15-4 (21-4 Iowa)

174 — No. 12 Alex Meyer decision Jacob Morrissey, 8-4 (24-4 Iowa)

184 — No. 7 Sammy Brooks major decision Tanner Lynde, 14-4 (28-4 Iowa)

197 — No. 3  Nathan Burak technical fall Drake Stein, 23-7 in XX (33-4 Iowa)

285 — No. 7 Sam Stoll pinned Tyler Kral in 4:04 (39-4 Iowa)