Point/counterpoint: Will Desmond King break the interceptions record; if so, when?

Iowa defensive back Desmond King blocks a pass meant for North Texas wide receiver Thaddeous Thompson during the Iowa-North Texas game in Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 26, 2015. The Hawkeyes defeated the Mean Green, 62-16. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

Yes, against Minnesota

To think that Desmond King will not break Iowa’s single-season interceptions record this weekend, which he has tied, is to not know Minnesota quarterback Mitch Leidner.

I should be fair. It’s a combination of Leidner being a below average quarterback and King being an elite defender. The guy is a ball hawk.

I should try to be fair again. Leidner has fewer interceptions (7) than King (8) does this year. I kid, I kid.

The point is, I wouldn’t throw the ball near King if I were Leidner, unless the Minnesota quarterback wants to be etched into the Iowa record book alongside King.

Leidner is dead last in the Big Ten in passing efficiency while also boasting the third-lowest completion percentage.

Looking down Minnesota’s depth at receiver, there just isn’t anyone who looks like he can get separation from King and make throws easier on Leidner.

Maybe Minnesota goes the same route as Northwestern and completely ignores King’s side of the field. In that case, maybe King doesn’t get the record against Minnesota and Leidner. But I think he does.

This isn’t a numbers argument from me this time, as it usually is. This is a gut feeling.

Each remaining game for the Hawkeyes is one of the biggest in school history, and King is Iowa’s best player.

This weekend is a chance to get to 10-0 for the first time in school history, against rival Minnesota, under the lights, wearing alternate uniforms, in a blackout, with a fresh top-5 ranking. Seems like the stage is set for King to have a special game. I wouldn’t bet against it.

— by Blake Dowson

Yes, against Purdue

Iowa’s Desmond King is tied for the all-time Hawkeye interception record  with 8 in a season along with Lou King in 1981 and Nile Kinnick in 1939.

The question is, will he break his record and in what game will he do it?   King is on a three-game streak of an interception a game that began with the Northwestern game.  But this may change come this weekend against Minnesota.

While Minnesota is on a three-game losing streak, it still has some life left.

On the other hand, Iowa’s opponent after Minnesota, Purdue, sits at 2-7 and is out of contention for a bowl game, making it an easier and more likely opponent in which King will break the interception record.

On the season, Leidner has thrown 7 interceptions, while Purdue has thrown 13, with David Blough throwing 7 and Austin Appleby flinging the other 6.

Coupling the importance of the game with Minnesota with more interceptions thrown by Purdue, the statistics favor King’s breaking the record against Purdue.

— by Rod Engblom

Yes, against Nebraska

As everyone knows, Iowa will face Minnesota this weekend. Sure, the Gophers may not have the record to show it, but Leidner isn’t the worst. He’s ranked smack-dab in the middle of all the other quarterbacks in the Big Ten for interceptions thrown, with 7.

Tommy Armstrong  Jr., on the other hand, is tied for most interceptions in the Big Ten with 9. He’s tied for 18th in the nation.

Nebraska is generally a more pass-heavy offense. Armstrong has thrown more passes this year than all three of Minnesota’s quarterbacks combined.

Besides, how likely is it that King goes four or even five games in a row with an interception? Give the man a break; let him have a week or two off, and he’ll be raring to go against Nebraska.

— by Courtney Baumann