Quotables: What Iowa players had to say — 11/3

Iowa quarterback C.J. Beathard runs with the ball at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison, Wisconsin on Saturday, Oct. 3, 2015. The Hawkeyes defeated the Badgers, 10-6. (The Daily Iowan/Rachael Westergard)

Check out what Iowa football players had to say in this weekly segment.

By Jordan Hansen

Each week the Hawkeye football players meet with media to discuss anything and everything. Coming off a bye week, Iowa is 8-0 and ranked 10th in the AP poll.

The Hawkeyes head to Bloomington this weekend, with kickoff against Indiana slated for 2:30 p.m. on ESPN.

Here’s what Iowa players had to say.

C.J. Beathard, quarterback

The first question is always about his health, obviously, “I’m walking around alright. I’m not 100-percent, but I can still do some stuff in practice.”

On questions about his health, “It’s been three and a half weeks that I’ve been answering these questions, it’s kind of routine now.”

On the program being mentioned on a national scale, “You’d rather be mentioned than not mentioned. It mean’s you’re doing good stuff and being successful as a team.”

Sean Welsh, offensive line

On beards, “I’m a little superstitious. I haven’t shaved since the beginning of the season.”

More beard talk, “It’s the only time I’m going to be able to grow out a beard, really.”

Greg Mabin, defensive back

What he likes most about his defense, “One of the main things is that we’re all hustling to the ball. Every guy wants to be that guy that makes the tackle, makes that play.”

He’s also looking forward to playing Indiana, a team that throws a lot, “You play this game because you want to play the best. Right now, they’re up there as far as their passing game, so it’s going to be a challenge for us this week coming in.”

Tevaun Smith, wide receiver

On getting open, “I guess we know that we have to help out (Beathard) now that he can’t scramble and we have to find a way to get open.”

On away games, “You get more time to watch film because we’re up a bit earlier. Other than that it’s pretty much the same as home games.”

On blocking, “If we make a downfield block that helps score a touchdown, it’s like we scored the touchdown too. A big catch is just as important as a big run.”