Checking out Beathard’s numbers

Hawkeye quarterback C.J. Beathard gets a pass off under pressure from Pittsburgh’s Rori Biair on Saturday, Sept. 19, 2015. Beathard was only sacked once during the game. The Hawkeyes defeated the Pittsburgh Panthers 27-24 on a last second field goal. (The Daily Iowan/Sergio Flores)

Iowa QB C.J. Beathard’s production has dropped since the Big Ten season began, but how does it rank relative to the rest of the Big Ten?

By Jordan Hansen

While Hawkeye quarterback C.J. Beathard has been one of the many bright spots of No. 10 Iowa’s 2015 season, his numbers have slumped over the past few weeks.

Much of this, of course, has to do with the assortment of injuries he’s dealt with this season, something that has been apparent since Iowa’s game with Northwestern on Oct. 17. Beathard hardly made it through that game and definitely looked sore against Maryland last weekend.

Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz has said the quarterback won’t be fully healthy until January, which spells a bit of trouble for an Iowa team with a good chance at a berth in the Big Ten Championship game.

Passing yards per game (conference only) — 159.0 (12th in the Big Ten)

Beathard’s passing numbers have dipped noticeably from the early going of the season.

The quarterback passed for more than 210 yards in all four nonconference games, but he has thrown for 200 yards just once during Big Ten play. He has just 3 passing touchdowns in the last four games, and his quarterback rating sits at 110.32, ninth in the conference.

While the Hawkeyes have been running the ball well and haven’t had to pass much against Big Ten opponents, Beathard’s 25 attempts per game in conference play puts him at the bottom of the Big Ten in that category. Only J.T. Barrett and Cardale Jones have fewer attempts per game (of quarterbacks with significant statistics), and that’s because they’re splitting time.

Completion percentage (conference only): 51.0 (13th in the Big Ten)

Beathard has only completed 60 percent or more of his passes in one conference game so far — Northwestern.

His two-game stretch earlier this year against Wisconsin and Illinois was by far his worst span. He combined to go 24-of-52 in those games.

Despite the bit of inaccuracy over the last few games, Beathard has taken care of the ball well. He’s thrown three picks all season, with just two coming against Big Ten opponents, and he has not had a multi-interception game.

30-plus-yard passing plays (conference only): 2 (tied for 13th in the Big Ten)

Despite Beathard’s outstanding arm strength, he has not thrown the ball down the field as well lately as he did during the early going.

During Iowa’s nonconference slate, Beathard had seven 30-plus-yard passing plays. Since then he’s had just two — both came against Illinois on throws to freshman wide receiver Jerminic Smith.

The Hawkeye wide receivers have struggled as a group to get separation all season and, as a result, Iowa has opted to go to the short passing game.

Sacks allowed: 16.0 (tied for 11th in the conference)

Part of Beathard’s downfield issues stem from him simply not being able to stay on his feet long enough.

Being hobbled by injury, he hasn’t been able to extend plays in nearly the same way he could early in the season and has taken more sacks as a result.

After Iowa gave up just five sacks through its first four games, Beathard has been brought down 11 times since Big Ten play started.

To be fair, the offensive line has seen a number of injuries this season, and players have been shuffled around numerous times. With both first-year tackles having missed time, it’s not exactly a surprise Beathard has been dragged down at a high rate.

If the Hawkeyes want to make their playoff dreams a reality, keeping Beathard upright has to be a top priority.

Follow @JordyHansen on Twitter for Iowa football news, updates, and analysis.