Rooftop bars coming to downtown

Ed Bornstein/The Daily Iowan A growing Iowa City skyline stands against a muggy afternoon sky on Monday, July 17, 2006. A story released Monday in Money Magazine ranked the city No. 74 on its “Best Places to Live” list out of an original pool of nearly 750.

By Lily Abromeit

Rooftop bars could be coming soon to Iowa City. The Iowa City City Council and downtown district are in the final stages of discussing an ordinance that would allow rooftop bars in the downtown area.

These rooftop additions would be accompanying the 35 outdoor patios already in existence.

The ordinance details which buildings can expand, noise restrictions, and accessibility requirements. City officials will be checking businesses throughout the year to see if they meet the proposed ordinance’s requirements.

Joe’s Place, 115 Iowa Ave., is already making moves to ready their business for a rooftop patio.

“Allowing for people to add a rooftop amenity is good for downtown and it allows people different perspective,” said Nancy Bird, the executive director of the downtown district. “It’s just fun to hang out on a roof and look at things in a different way.”