UI may see extra funds

Board of Regents members gather in the IMU Main Lounge on Wed. March 11, 2015. The State of Iowa Board of Regents meet to discuss the future of universities in Iowa. (The Daily Iowan/Courtney Hawkins)

Regents backtrack on funding request.

By DI Staff

The University of Iowa may see some extra dollars after all.

The state Board of Regents will now look at seeking a $4.5 million boost in state appropriations for the UI after previously announcing it

would consider a zero-dollar increase.

“After meeting with incoming President [Bruce] Harreld as well as faculty, staff, and students, it is clear that additional funding to support the long-term reinvestment in the core mission of teaching and research is needed,” said Regent President Bruce Rastetter. “I believe that this additional money is critical in the support of the University of Iowa’s vision to invest in its strengths and to continue to provide the highest quality education to our students.”

The regents will look at the request for fiscal 2017 state funding at their meeting Wednesday in Cedar Falls.

The proposed request calls for $8.2 million extra for Iowa State University and an additional $7.7 million for the University of Northern Iowa.

Should the request go through, the regents will ask the state Legislature for about $235 million for the UI in general funds.

Last year, the regents asked the Legislature to effectively approve a new “performance-based funding model” that would base state appropriations heavily on in-state undergraduate enrollment.

The model would have shifted millions of dollars away from the UI to ISU and UNI.

The idea did not make it past the Legislature, which instead approved a one-time cash increase for the three universities. However, Gov. Terry Branstad vetoed the move, leaving the UI with no extra money for fiscal 2016.

However, he approved a separate bill that gave UNI and ISU millions in extra base appropriations.

At the meeting Wednesday, the regents are also expected to discuss a proposed spring 2016 tuition increase as well and a revised budget for the new UI Children’s Hospital.