Iowa wide receivers coach Kelton Copeland will not return to Hawkeyes next season

According to David Eickholt, Iowa and Copeland mutually parted ways.
Iowa+wide+receivers+coach+Kelton+Copeland+waits+for+questions+from+the+media+during+Iowa+football+media+day+at+Iowa+football%E2%80%99s+practice+field+on+Friday%2C+Aug.+13%2C+2021.+
Iowa wide receivers coach Kelton Copeland waits for questions from the media during Iowa football media day at Iowa football’s practice field on Friday, Aug. 13, 2021.

Iowa wide receivers coach Kelton Copeland will not return to the Hawkeyes in 2024, according to ESPN’s Pete Thamel.

Copeland has been Iowa’s wide receiver coach since 2017, joining the staff after four seasons at Northern Illinois. According to David Eickholt, Iowa and Copeland mutually parted ways.

This past season, Hawkeye wideouts combined for 754 yards on 76 catches. Wide receivers accounted for three of Iowa’s 20 touchdowns. Sixth-year Nico Ragaini led the WR unit with 31 receptions for 255 yards but did not score.

In comparison, Michigan wideout Roman Wilson, who helped the Wolverines defeat Iowa, 26-0, in the Big Ten title game and win a national championship, recorded 789 receiving yards and 12 touchdowns on 48 receptions.

Marvin McNutt, who played for the Hawkeyes from 2008-11, holds the single-season program record for receiving yards with 1,315. He also tied Kevin Kasper for the most catches in a season by a Hawkeye with 82. Iowa hasn’t had an All-Big Ten wide receiver since McNutt in 2011.

The Hawkeyes have yet to announce who their new offensive coordinator will be. Former OC Brian Ferentz was let go from the program after the Citrus Bowl. The Hawkeye offense averaged 235.4 yards and 15.4 points per game in 2023, ranking 133rd and 130th in the FBS, respectively.