‘More Work to be Done:’ Iowa football tight end Luke Lachey will return to Iowa next season

Following the Hawkeyes’ practice in Orlando, Florida, on Friday, the team posted on social media the announcement of his return for a fifth season.
Iowa tight end Luke Lachey speaks with members of the media following his announcement of coming back to Iowa next season during an event at Topgolf before the 2024 Cheez-It Citrus Bowl in Orlando, Fla., on Friday, Dec. 29, 2023. The Hawkeyes and Volunteers match up at Camping World Stadium on Monday, Jan. 1, at noon CT.

Iowa football tight end Luke Lachey will return to the Hawkeyes next season. The junior played in only three games in the fall, suffering a season-ending right ankle injury in the first quarter in Week 3 against Western Michigan. 

“I think it’s really about leaving a legacy,” Lachey told reporters on Friday evening. “That’s something that I’ve always dreamed about. I’ve felt like if I came back, I could have a big impact there. And, you know, it’s also about being able to play with your brothers for another season. I don’t think there’s anything much better than that.”

He added that he had conversations with former Hawkeye tight end and current Detroit Lion Sam LaPorta, who also returned for an extra year following a season-ending meniscus injury.

“He told me some of the pros and cons on either side, you know, he helped me out, as always,” Lachey said.”So I’m grateful for that.”

Even while donning street clothes and crutches on the sidelines, Lachey remained a team captain throughout the rest of the season and still made the pregame venture to midfield for the coin flip.

“It meant a lot to me, you know, with it being a weekly, player-voted, thing, it was heartwarming that my teammates still voted for me throughout the season,” he said. “It just shows the hard work that you put in doesn’t go away just with an injury, that [the team] still trust in you to lead even if you’re not on the field.”

Hailing from Columbus, Ohio, Lachey was a second-team All-Big Ten selection by Phil Steele and caught 10 passes for 131 yards this season. 

Last season, Lachey appeared in all 13 contests, starting six games at tight end and amassing 28 receptions, 398 yards, and four touchdowns. 

Back in November, Athlon Sports projected Lachey as an early Day 3 pick in the NFL Draft, but with the tight end’s decision already made, such prognostications will be subject to change, or even an upgrade, as Lachey will don the Black and Gold for another season.