Linebacker Jay Higgins to forego NFL Draft, return to Iowa next season

Higgins leads the Power Five this season with 155 tackles. He will play in the Citrus Bowl against Tennessee on Jan. 1.
Iowa linebacker Jay Higgins answers a question during a press conference for the 2024 Cheez-It Citrus Bowl at the Rosen Plaza Hotel in Orlando, Fla., on Friday, Dec. 29, 2023. Higgins spoke to reporters about his return to Iowa next season. “Over the last four years, I built a great relationship with obviously my teammates and the coaching staff that the University of Iowa has,” Higgins said. “…I just felt like if I came back another year, I could be a better football player.”

Hawkeye fans received encouraging news just days ahead of the Citrus Bowl against Tennessee.

Linebacker Jay Higgins announced he will return to Iowa for a fifth season and forego the 2024 NFL Draft. He currently leads the Big Ten and ranks second in the nation with 155 tackles, the fourth most in a single season in Iowa history.

“Over the last four years, I’ve built a great relationship with my teammates, the coaching staff,” Higgins said during media availability in Orlando on Friday. “The University of Iowa has this environment that puts players first. I just felt like if I came back another year, I could be a better football player.”

“Jay is like another coach on the field,” Iowa defensive coordinator Phil Parker said. “If I call something on first down, second down, whatever, but there’s sometimes that he might just change the call because he sees something … That’s what Jay has put himself in and that’s why he’s such a good player.”

One more season of No. 34 in an Iowa uniform means another year of Higgins’ father, Roy, chanting “Hawk Hawk Hawk.”

Roy is well known among Hawkeye fans on X, formerly known as Twitter. His love for Hawkeye football and his son has exploded this season.

“He told me he was going to take it easy next season, but I don’t believe that one bit,” Higgins said of his father. “He’s just a happy dad. I mean, when I came here my freshman year, I felt like he was the same way on Twitter. I just wasn’t making any plays so nobody really knew about him.”

The NCAA approved fellow linebacker Nick Jackson’s waiver for a sixth season, according to SWARM CEO Brad Heinrichs. Jackson’s 2022 season at Virginia was cut short, as the Cavalier’s final two games were canceled after three players died in a shooting. Jackson, who is one of Higgins’ best friends, has not announced if he will return to Iowa for a final season.

One of the biggest concerns coming into this season was whether Iowa could replace the production and leadership of Butkus Award winner Jack Campbell and starting linebacker Seth Benson. Jackson helped Higgins seamlessly fill that void, adding on 99 tackles, eight tackles for loss, four sacks, and forcing a pair of fumbles.

Iowa fans are also anxiously awaiting decisions from defensive backs Cooper DeJean, Sebastian Castro, and Quinn Schulte. DeJean endured a season-ending injury on Nov. 15 but still won Big Ten Defensive Back of the Year and Special Teams Player of the Year. He is projected as a first-round pick in the 2024 NFL Draft by CBS Sports.

When asked if he had a recruiting pitch for Hawkeyes who have yet to decide to return, Higgins quipped that he would have to avoid the typical speel of getting a photoshoot and touring Kinnick Stadium.

“I’m working on trying to recruit some guys who have got some degrees,” he said with a smile. “So we’re just giving those guys space, understanding that this decision is going to impact the rest of their life. Just allow them to ask their family what they’re thinking. I just told them, ‘The standard is going to stay the same.'”

Castro had his most productive season yet, garnering Pro Football Focus first-team All-America honors. Schulte, who has worked his way up on Phil Parker’s defense as a walk-on, has years of valuable experience and ranks fourth on the team this season with 60 tackles.

On the offensive side, tight end Erick All suffered a season-ending injury against Wisconsin, and could also return next season but has not disclosed his plans.