Meet the candidates for Iowa City City Council ahead of the November election

A total of seven candidates are running for seats on the city council this November.
The+Iowa+City+Council+holds+a+meeting+in+Iowa+City+on+Tuesday%2C+Aug.+15%2C+2023.+
Cody Blissett
The Iowa City Council holds a meeting in Iowa City on Tuesday, Aug. 15, 2023.

A total of seven candidates put in their bids for the ballot of the upcoming Iowa City City Council election on Nov. 7.

Of the seven candidates, three are running for two open at-large seats, three are running for the District A seat, and one is running for the District C seat.

Because there are more than two candidates running for the District A seat, a primary will take place on Oct. 10 to narrow down the list.

Only voters who live within District A will be able to vote in the primary. District A is made up of most of the South District and the west side of the city.

All registered voters in Iowa City are allowed to vote in the Nov. 7 general election. Below is a list of the seven candidates and their campaign issues.

At-large candidates

Josh Moe

Josh Moe is a local architect and volunteer. On his website, he stated he plans to use his professional experience as well as lived experiences to further Iowa City’s development and equity goals.

Moe said some of his main goals if elected are to make public spaces more inclusive, reach the city’s climate action goals, encourage wise investments in public infrastructure, create more jobs, and improve the city’s public transportation.

Mandi Remington

According to her website, Mandi Remington has lived in Iowa City for over two decades. During this time, she has worked for the city as well as the University of Iowa in various capacities, including the Iowa City Community Police Review Board and the UI Safety and Security Committee.

Remington’s campaign focuses on the issues of improving public access to food, transportation, shelter and affordable housing, making the city more handicap accessible, and increasing collaboration between the city and community organizations and nonprofits.

Mazahir Salih

Mazahir Salih served on the Iowa City City Council from 2018-21, with a term as Mayor Pro Tem from 2020-21. Salih has also been involved in various other organizations in Iowa City, including executive director and co-founder of the Center for Worker Justice.

If elected, Salih plans to continue her efforts on and off the council for the issues of affordable housing, transportation, economic development, and diverse representation in local government.

District A candidates

Laura Bergus

Laura Bergus has been an Iowa City councilor since 2020 and is looking to start her second term. Originally an at-large councilor, Bergus now lives within the boundaries of District A after district boundaries were redrawn during her current term.

In her time on the city council, Bergus has advocated for racial equality, sustainability, improved public transit, and public safety measures that do not center around law enforcement involvement.

Tim Borchardt

Tim Borchardt is a long-time resident of Iowa City who worked as a supervisor at the International Automotive Components plant in Iowa City before retiring, according to an email to The Daily Iowan.

If elected, Borchardt wrote he plans to tighten up the city’s budget, increase and support the city’s police force, make living costs more affordable, and ensure that all citizens are treated fairly and equitably regardless of their race, gender, or sexuality.

Pauline Taylor

Pauline Taylor has been on the Iowa City City Council since 2016 and is looking to secure her third term on the council this November. Taylor also served as mayor pro tem from 2018-20.

During her two terms as a councilor, Taylor has advocated for health care, affordable housing, and child care. Taylor also said another issue she would like to focus on in her time as a councilor is reducing traffic fatalities.

District C candidates

Andrew Dunn

Andrew Dunn currently serves on the Iowa City City Council and was elected in January to finish the rest of former Councilor Janice Weiner’s term.

Dunn has been involved in various political organizations since 2012 and ran for a seat in the Iowa House in 2022.

If reelected, Dunn previously told the DI he plans to focus on the topics of governmental transparency, affordable housing, climate action, racial justice, and good faith development.