Sen. Chuck Grassley reintroduces bill to curb mass violence incidents after Michigan State University mass shooting

Grassley, among a bipartisan group of lawmakers, reintroduced the EAGLES act originally introduced after the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in 2018.

Sen.+Chuck+Grassley%2C+R-Iowa%2C+testifies+during+a+hearing+from+the+newly+formed+Select+Subcommittee+on+the+Weaponization+of+the+Federal+Government+on+February+9%2C+2023+in+Washington.+

Jack Gruber-USA TODAY

Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, testifies during a hearing from the newly formed Select Subcommittee on the Weaponization of the Federal Government on February 9, 2023 in Washington.

Liam Halawith, Politics Editor

Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, led a bipartisan group of lawmakers on Tuesday to reintroduce legislation to curb mass violence following a fatal shooting at Michigan State University on Monday.

According to the Associated Press, a 43-year-old man fatally shot three and injured five Michigan State students.

The legislation would expand the National Threat Assessment Center and focus on identifying and mitigating targeted attacks like school shootings. The bill would also create a national program on targeted school violence prevention and expand outreach on school violence prevention.

The act was originally introduced after the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in 2018.

In 2023, the U.S. has had 67 mass shooting incidents and had 647 mass shootings in 2022.

The National Threat Assessment Center was founded in 1998 to develop evidence-based indicators for various types of targeted violence, including school violence. So far, the center has trained 198,000 school faculty, administrators and students on indicators of violence.

Grassley said reauthorizing the program is an important step in maintaining safe schools and communities from tragedies.

“The U.S. Secret Service is uniquely equipped to help evaluate these threats, and our bill would enable them to share their tools and expertise with school safety partners across the country,” Grassley said in a press release. “While we can never bring back the lives tragically lost in horrific acts of violence, we must do all we can to honor their memories by preventing future violence from occurring.”