Instant recap | No. 5 seed Iowa falls to No. 12 seed Richmond in first round of NCAA Tournament

The Hawkeyes lost to the Spiders, 67-63, on Thursday.

Gabby Drees

Richmond forward Tyler Burton attempts to gain control of the ball during the first round of the NCAA Men’s Championship between the Iowa Hawkeyes and the Richmond Spiders at KeyBank Center in Buffalo, N.Y., on Thursday, March 17, 2022. Burton earned 11 rebounds. The Spiders beat the Hawkeyes, 67-63.

Robert Read, Pregame Editor

BUFFALO, N.Y. — March Madness is over for the Iowa men’s basketball team.

No. 5 seed Iowa lost to No. 12 seed Richmond, 67-63, in the first round of the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament on Thursday. Four days after the Hawkeyes won their fourth game in four days and earned the Big Ten Men’s Basketball Tournament title, they were stunned in the KeyBank Center in Buffalo, N.Y. Richmond advances to the Round of 32, where it will play No. 4 seed Providence on Saturday.

The Hawkeyes shot 36 percent from the field and made only six of their 29 3-point attempts.

Iowa’s All-American forward Keegan Murray scored 21 points and shot 8-of-15 from the field.

This is a developing story that will be updated. Check back for more information.