Deuce is loose: Iowa quarterback Deuce Hogan enters NCAA Transfer Portal

The redshirt freshman was a four-star recruit in the Iowa football program’s 2020 class.

Katie Goodale for The Daily Iowa

Iowa quarterback Deuce Hogan (2) throws a pass as Iowa defensive lineman Deontae Craig (45) defends during Iowa football spring practice on Saturday, April 17, 2021 in Kinnick Stadium.

Robert Read, Pregame Editor

Iowa quarterback Deuce Hogan has entered the NCAA Transfer portal.

The redshirt freshman appeared in the portal under the name “Kristopher Hogan II” on Tuesday morning. Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz confirmed Hogan’s departure during a press conference on Tuesday. Hogan, Iowa’s third-string quarterback this season, appeared in one game in his Hawkeye career. The Texan completed one pass for a two-yard gain late in Iowa’s win over Maryland in October.

Iowa quarterbacks Spencer Petras and Alex Padilla have both started games this season, but Hogan has only taken garbage time snaps. Hogan was briefly listed as Iowa’s backup quarterback this season ahead of the Minnesota game, when Petras was working through a shoulder injury and Padilla was the starter. Hogan was back to the No. 3 quarterback the next week against Illinois.

“Great kid,” said Petras, who will start Saturday for the Hawkeyes in the Big Ten Championship Game against Michigan. “Has done an outstanding job, and he’s an absolutely great teammate. I’m just excited to see what he can do moving forward. He’ll be a guy I’ll be friends with for a long time. He’s a great dude.”

Hogan was seemingly upset over comments Ferentz made after Iowa’s win over Nebraska last weekend. Petras and Padilla both had the flu and missed practice the Tuesday leading up to the game against the Cornhuskers, forcing Hogan to take first-team reps with Iowa’s offense. Padilla started against Nebraska before Petras took over the offense in the second half. Hogan did not make an appearance.

“I didn’t know who the hell was going to start,” Ferentz said jokingly after Iowa’s 28-21 win over Nebraska. “If it was Deuce, with all due respect to Deuce, I might have stayed in Iowa City. I’m joking.”

Ferentz said he spoke with Hogan about his decision to transfer and asked him, as he said he does with all players who enter the portal, if he has taken enough time to think about his decision.

“It’s unfortunate,” Ferentz said. “We don’t want to lose any players.”

Ferentz was asked about his postgame comments from last week and in retrospect, he said, “I wish I hadn’t said it, quite frankly.”

“I brought it up to him, and in retrospect I wish I had not named a name,” Ferentz said. “In team meetings, that would maybe be a place where you would hope everybody would laugh. Bottom line is I’m not going to coach a player through the media or say something that’s malicious toward a player. I did share that with the team on Sunday, that exact point.

“I fully appreciate it. He wants to get somewhere where he feels like he has a little bit better opportunity, and fully support him. He’s a tremendous young guy. He has a really good arm. And I joked about him last Tuesday, but he made some really good throws that day. Probably been more appropriate if I said our third quarterback instead of naming his name. But I’m not real comfortable with any third quarterback being in the game until they get to work as a 1 or 2, but he’s a talented young guy.”

Hogan was a highly touted, four-star recruit in Iowa’s 2020 class. The Texan was the first to commit in the class and picked the Hawkeyes over Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Baylor, among others. Georgia and Tennessee offered Hogan after he committed to Iowa, but the signal caller stayed loyal to the Hawkeyes.

As a senior in high school, Hogan threw for 2,364 yards and 30 touchdowns. He holds the Faith Christian High School records for career wins, touchdowns, yards, and completions.

The Hawkeyes are left with three scholarship quarterbacks after Hogan’s departure: Petras, Padilla, and freshman Joey Labas.

Iowa (10-2 overall, 7-2 Big Ten) plays Michigan (11-1, 8-1) in the Big Ten Championship Game on Saturday in Indianapolis. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:17 p.m. inside Lucas Oil Stadium. The game will air on FOX.