Live updates: Twitter reactions as Election Day unfolds in Iowa

Tracking updates from The Daily Iowan’s reporters across the state, as well as what politicians and community leaders are saying on social media.

A+sign+marking+a+polling+location+is+seen+outside+the+North+Liberty+Community+Center+in+North+Liberty+on+Tuesday%2C+November+3%2C+2020.+In+2016%2C+Johnson+County+was+one+of+six+Iowa+counties+to+vote+for+a+democratic+presidential+candidate%2C+according+to+the+New+York+Times.+

Ryan Adams

A sign marking a polling location is seen outside the North Liberty Community Center in North Liberty on Tuesday, November 3, 2020. In 2016, Johnson County was one of six Iowa counties to vote for a democratic presidential candidate, according to the New York Times.

Robert Read, Pregame Editor

Election Day has arrived and as races unfold in Iowa and across the country, social media acts as an outlet for instant reactions.

The Daily Iowan is tracking updates from our reporters across the state, as well as what politicians and community leaders are saying on social media.

All day — Daily Iowan reporters at polling locations across the state

Since Tuesday morning, reporters from the DI have been reporting from polling locations across the state. Follow our reporters on Twitter for more updates.

6:26 p.m. — Johnson County Auditor and Commissioner of Elections reports Johnson County has hit turnout record

Travis Weipert tweeted that Johnson County has unofficially set an all-time voting turnout record.

For context, here are Johnson County voting numbers from 2016.

What voters are saying to DI reporters

DI reporters have interviewed several voters at polling locations across the state. Here’s what the voters have said about their rational for voting for the candidates they did and what their voting experiences were like.

9:00 p.m. — Polls close in Iowa, though those already in line still have the opportunity to vote

At the same time the polls closed, Weipert tweeted out the absentee ballot results for Johnson County.

9:28 p.m. — Weipert tweets out the preliminary results from all 58 Johnson County precincts

There was an 86.05 percent voter turnout in Johnson County according to these results.

Republican Bobby Kaufmann solidifies fourth term in the Iowa House

11:30 p.m. — President Donald Trump wins Iowa

Trump was winning Iowa at 11:21 p.m. with 52 percent of the vote when the Associated Press called the state for him over his Democratic challenger, Joe Biden. Biden won 45 percent, with 99 percent of precincts reporting.

Randy Feenstra keeps 4th Congressional District red

Republican Randy Feenstra beat out Democratic candidate J.D. Scholten, replacing Steve King as 4th District representative.

12:20 p.m. — Iowa Secretary of State Paul Pate tweets that the Hawkeye State had a record voter turnout

Joni Ernst defeats Theresa Greenfield in race for Iowa U.S. Senate seat

After a competitive and expensive race, Ernst will reprise her role in the Senate for another six years.

Ashley Hinson, a Republican candidate in Iowa’s 1st Congressional District, unseated incumbent U.S. Rep. Abby Fikenauer on Tuesday night

Republican Ashley Hinson unseated incumbent U.S. Rep. Abby Finkenauer on Tuesday night in Iowa’s 1st Congressional District, flipping the district red after the Democrat’s two-year hold. Hinson claimed 51.25 percent of votes to win the election, while Abby Finkenauer won 48.65 percent of the votes, according to unofficial results.

This is a developing story that will continue to be updated. Check back for more information.