Bohannon kisses Cy-Hawk career goodbye

If Jordan Bohannon has played his final game of the season, he went out like only Bohannon could.

Iowa guard Jordan Bohannon looks to the backboard during a men’s basketball match between Iowa and Iowa State at Hilton Coliseum on Thursday, Dec. 12, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Cyclones, 84-68. (Shivansh Ahuja/The Daily Iowan)

Pete Ruden, Pregame Editor

Jordan Bohannon wasn’t lying when he tweeted he had a surprise for Iowa State on Thursday.

Following Iowa’s 84-68 victory over the Cyclones, Bohannon took his shoes off and left them on the Hilton Coliseum hardwood with one simple message: “To ISU: Thanks for memz.”

The win boosted Bohannon’s overall record against Iowa State to 3-1 and added another piece of history to a rivalry full of trash talking.

“I’m always about trolling,” Bohannon said. “I’m always about getting a little stuff stirred up. I’m all about that.”

The talking goes back years. It got reinvigorated on Twitter throughout the week when Bohannon and former Cyclone Georges Niang went at it with messages back and forth.

Iowa forward Ryan Kriener said the shoe stunt stemmed from another former Cyclone — current Denver Nugget Monte Morris — saying he was going to leave his shoes in Carver-Hawkeye Arena after the two sides battled in 2016.

But that’s not all Bohannon did.

When Iowa State was in control in 2014’s Cy-Hawk game, Niang blew a kiss to Iowa’s student section to seal the win. Bohannon did the same Thursday after finding himself on the free-throw line with a Hawkeye win in the bag.

“It was all in good fun,” Bohannon said of his Twitter clash with Niang. “I respect Georges Niang a lot, and hopefully he respects us a little more after tonight.”

Bohannon didn’t post his best stat line of the season against the Cyclones, but he still made a difference.

The senior from Marion netted 12 points on 2-of-12 shooting with three assists. But his buckets came when the Hawkeyes needed them.

When the Cyclones started the second half with two buckets in a row to cut the Hawkeye lead to 11, Bohannon came back with a triple.

His first 3-pointer in the first half put Iowa up by 10 after getting out to a quick start. The Hawkeyes drained four of their first six shots from beyond the arc.

It seemed as if something followed each big shot Iowa hit, whether it was Luka Garza flexing after an and-one, Bohannon holding up the “3” sign, or Kriener holstering his 3.

After starting with its foot on the gas, Iowa relished the opportunity to quiet the renowned Hilton crowd.

“I love these kinds of games — fun atmospheres,” Iowa guard CJ Fredrick said. “This is what you live for. If you’re a basketball player, you live for this.”

Now, Bohannon has a decision to make.

He’s officially played 10 games after undergoing hip surgery during the offseason, leaving him no remaining eligibility if he elects to redshirt.

Iowa’s next game doesn’t come until Dec. 21 when it takes on Cincinnati in Chicago, so he has some time to decide.

Bohannon opened the game with a hug with Kriener, one of his best friends. He closed it with some actions that will fuel the Cy-Hawk rivalry for another year.

Whichever route Bohannon decides to take, he ended the first 10 games of the season as only Bohannon can.

“We always have a hug before the game, but that one was a little longer,” Kriener said. “Obviously, whatever he decides, it could be the last time we play together.”