Highlights from Iowa’s press conference following win over Nebraska

Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz and his players picked up a last-second win over Nebraska on Friday, leaving them with a lot to say.

Katina Zentz

Iowa defensive lineman Chauncey Golston carries the Heroes Trophy during the football game against Nebraska at Memorial Stadium on Friday, November 29, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Cornhuskers 27-24. (Katina Zentz/The Daily Iowan)

Pete Ruden and Pete Mills

Iowa downed Nebraska, 27-24, on Friday for its fifth-straight victory over Nebraska.

The win, highlighted by a 48-yard game-winning field goal by Keith Duncan, kept Nebraska out of a bowl game and kept the Hawkeyes’ hopes for a 10-win season alive.

After closing the season with a victory, Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz and his players had a lot to say.

Duncan on allegedly blowing a kiss to Nebraska head coach Scott Frost after making the game-winning kick

“I may or may not have. It was more just to everyone. This is the Heroes Game. We were just having some fun; it’s a football game. You just put into perspective — we’re playing football for fun. There’s a lot of people out there fighting for their lives or for the children’s hospital in Iowa. There’s a lot of people that are just very happy to see the outcome of that game. So, we’re here for entertainment and having some fun. That’s what it’s all about.”

Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz on awarding scholarships to Duncan, Jack Koerner, and Kyler Schott

“You’re like Santa Claus. It’s nice when everybody likes you. [Those were] decisions we made a while back, obviously. I always tell recruits that scholarships are earned — nobody gives them out, and certainly, all three of those guys have done a great job with what they’ve done going back to August.”

Iowa defensive end A.J. Epenesa on which state’s corn is better

“Iowa’s.”

Iowa wide receiver Ihmir Smith-Marsette on his 95-yard kick-return touchdown

“He swiped at my ankle. I don’t know if he hit it or not. I just picked it up, just in case he did. If he didn’t, 95 no touch to the house.”

Epenesa on the Heroes Trophy

“It feels real good carrying that trophy. That’s a real nice-looking trophy. It’s not as heavy as the other trophies, but it’s a pretty trophy. I like it.”

Iowa defensive end Chauncey Golston on going to the trophy after the game

“I went to the trophy. I was the only one at the trophy. Like, I can celebrate with Keith in the locker room with the trophy.”

Iowa offensive tackle Tristan Wirfs on Duncan’s game-winning field goal

“You want to look, but you want to make sure you’re doing your job and not looking too soon or anything. They iced him a couple times, but nobody went up and said anything to him, because I think we all knew he was fine.”