Guest Opinion: Amy Klobuchar can make progress happen

A presidential-primary voter describes what they saw in the Minnesota senator on their visit to Iowa.

Shivansh Ahuja

Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., speaks during the 2019 Liberty and Justice Celebration at the Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines on Friday, November 1, 2019.

I had the privilege of attending the Liberty and Justice Celebration on my first trip to Iowa. It is a fine example of democracy where competing candidates and their supporters gather to listen to ideas in a peaceful, festive gathering.

I listened carefully to the Democratic presidential candidates. By the end of the night, I was unwaveringly resolute in my decision to support Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar for the nomination.

In the spirit of former President Abraham Lincoln’s famous quote, “A house divided against itself cannot stand,” she spoke of an inclusive campaign to heal the country, make progress on important issues, and reject the division fostered by the far right of the Republican Party.

Klobuchar understands the importance of not just eking out a win to restore integrity to the White House but of winning with broad support. This will allow lawmakers to move the country in a rational and tolerant direction.

I would like to thank the Iowa Democratic Party for hosting such a fine event. I would also like to encourage the voters of Iowa to look at Klobuchar’s progressive policy proposals and her history of success in the Senate and support her in the caucuses.

— Terrence Curran, Cranford, New Jersey resident