Hawkeyes down Boilermakers for Homecoming victory

Iowa’s defense posted another solid outing, while the Hawkeye offense did enough to get back in the win column.

Katina Zentz

Iowa kicker Keith Duncan punts the ball during the game against Purdue on Saturday, October 19, 2019.

Pete Ruden, Pregame Editor

Despite a low-scoring first half that saw Iowa hold a 9-7 lead, the Hawkeyes opened it up a little more in the second to topple Purdue, 26-20, on Saturday.

Once again, the defense led the way for Iowa, especially in the first half.

The Hawkeyes yielded only a single touchdown on a nice catch by Boilermaker receiver David Bell in the first half before giving up 13 points in the second half.

The unit also forced a couple of turnovers.

The first came in the second quarter when Purdue was threatening on Iowa’s 18. When quarterback Jack Plummer completed a pass to wide receiver Amad Anderson, Iowa safety Geno Stone came through to force a fumble that Matt Hankins jumped on, keeping Iowa’s 6-0 lead intact.

Then, on Purdue’s first drive after the half, Riley Moss stopped a Boilermaker drive that was moving with a leaping interception.

The pick led to Iowa’s lone touchdown of the game, a 1-yard jump by freshman running Tyler Goodson for the first score of his career.

After Purdue made it 19-13 with a field goal toward the end of the fourth quarter, Mekhi Sargent rolled into the end zone on a 14-yard scamper.

Although the touchdown came on the ground, Iowa couldn’t run the ball with ease, averaging 3.3 yards per carry.

Keith Duncan proved to be a key piece in the win once again, nailing all four of his field-goal attempts and two extra points to score 14 of Iowa’s 26 points.

Hawkeye quarterback Nate Stanley posted a solid performance, as well, finishing 22-for-33 for 260 yards, and an interception off a tip by Goodson.

Wide receiver Brandon Smith made his presence felt in the passing game, recording career-highs in catches (9) and yards (106).

Smith, however, left the game with 4:21 remaining in the fourth quarter with an apparent right leg injury.

Next, the Hawkeyes will hit the road to take on Northwestern on Oct. 26 at 11 a.m.